problem receiving response from text sent to an email account - error message/limited characters?
blackmamba

Hi,

I know you can send text messages to an email account if you type in the email address on the phone (even if it is listed in your contacts.) I am having trouble receiving responses back from people who I sent messages to in this way. Last time all I received was "Re:" and an error message "Can't view parts of this message on phone." I don't understand why I am getting this. My only guess is that perhaps my message TO the person was too long so when they wrote back and it included my message, it didn't have enough space/characters to include that person's response? I HAVE received brief responses back from people using this method (text to an email). It usually gives you my original to/date/subject line and then the first few words of my original message to them (thus the "Re:") So instead of just cutting it off, maybe that's what this weird message means? The message was only text (no photos/graphics, etc),  so are we limited in characters when sending to an EMAIL account, unlike regular phone text messaging?  Second question: If this IS the case, and since this phone keeps all the conversations, would this means I would have to delete the conversations each time I email the same person because I would go over the limit each time?

I hope someone understands what I am trying to describe here! Thanks for any feedback. This is really a problem for my friend and I because he does not have free text and I have limited, so I want to be able to send him text to his email instead and have him respond from his email to my text so he does not have to pay for texting.

PS. I know I could set up my email account on the phone, but I do not leave my wifi on all the time, nor can I pick up the signal easily, so that is not an option.

Thank you!!! 

0 Likes
Re: problem receiving response from text sent to an email account - error message/limited characters
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I think i know the problem you are discussing, but i am not sure what could be the cause of it. You should have no limit to the size of texts you recieve; they will automatically be broken up into 160-character texts. Seeing you have limited texts, that may harm you cause then you will have 2 or 3 messages for what would be 1 'message'/email, but they should work just fine. Which number are you having him text? ###@vzwpix.com is the number for multimedia messages; even if the messge is 100% text, it will still send a multimedia message and i'm assuming you don't have a plan for those. With that, the message could be confused for containing pictures or sounds, which could be triggering some bug that is giving you that auto-reply text. ###@vtext.com is the number for regular SMS text messages. Give this one a try if you aren't already doing so.

0 Likes
Re: problem receiving response from text sent to an email account - error message/limited characters
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Oh, and one last note: i'm pretty sure you won't have to clear your conversations every time. WIth you sending them out, it should be a non-issue, with them getting exactly the text you send. However, on the recieving end, what could also be causing an issue is he/she is sending a message, and it still contains the 'quoted' text from the entire conversation. I know gmail does this, as do many other email services. You will want to have the person you are texting send you an email back only containing the individual message, and delete the automatically quoted text containing the rest of the conversations between the 2 parties. I use gmail, and i know that when you email the phone, it does not send the subject line or anything else, just the body of the message. What email service are you using? That could be the problem; some email services may be internally 'messy', leaving traces of their processing within the message, instead of just the actual message itself.

0 Likes
blackmamba

Hi fisharefriends,

Thanks for the response. I don't know why it isn't working correctly either, as I am doing as you suggested I think. I have been texting him from my phone using the ##@vtext.com as you noted (as opposed to the photo, although that seemed to work too somewhat.) I text to his yahoo email account. I agree that if if the message back to me was too long, I should just receive multiple messages. Now, he often responds back to me using his cell phone which is a Blackberry. Think that has anything to do with it? I don't see why it would - he is just tapping into his email from it - plus he does also use his regular computer to respond and I still have this problem. I'm really scratching my head on this one. And I really don't understand that error message I got. It's one thing to just cut off a message, but to say it can't show something is another. Never had this issue with my EnV2. That just cut off messages! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
UPDATE Re: problem receiving response from text sent to an email account - error message
blackmamba

UPDATE TO THIS:

I've done more testing regarding this and found some interesting quirks. I had another friend help out and I texted to her email and had her respond. There seemed to be no problem unless her text back to me was long (more than 3 sentences). If it was, it cut off her message. It did NOT send me a second message with the rest of it. I am not over my text limit for the month, so apparently it will not send you two messages back separately.

I also sent myself a text to my own email. My first message was brief. I noticed the text came from the vtext.com address on the cell. However, when my next test (the next day) was longer, it came from the vzwpix.com address (used for sending photos/videos). My texting allowance per month includes photos/videos, so I can send either way, but it is interesting that it is defaulting to this address when my text is long. Maybe it does that to allow you to SEND a longer message - I was able to do that on my old phone and go beyond the 160 character limit then.  I am testing to see what happens when someone responds from this address to see if that is a problem because I think that is the issue - when they respond BACK there is not enough room (in terms of the number of characters.)

The character limit is in affect when using this text to email mode of communication. In fact, I counted the characters and it seems I have less than 160 letters so it is very limited.

Each message back to me always included (Re:smileyhappy: and the first four or five words of the first line of my message. It then had the person to whom I was writings message after it.

My friend whom I am having the problem with erased all the text I sent him and responded and I also received as described above. Will ask him not to do that and will see what happens. But regardless, I can't get more than two sentences from these people before it cuts off the message (and I only write them a sentence or two.)

0 Likes
Re: UPDATE Re: problem receiving response from text sent to an email account - error message
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

I went ahead and tested this on my end. Do note, that i am using gmail, so if you don't get the same results, then it could possibly be a yahoo mail issue (you said your friend used yahoo mail?)

On the sending end: if your text is less than 160 characters (yes, it is exactly 160 characters; remember that spaces also count as characters, not just the 'black characters'), it will sent it through vtext.com and it will send a standard text message (SMS). If you send one larger than 160 characters, or with a sound/pic/vid file attached, it will automatically send it through vzwpix.com as a MMS; fortunately for you, picture messages are included in your plan. So you don't hvae to worry about how long the text you send ends up being; you will just have to remember that the person you are texting will be getting your texts from 2 different accounts, so the conversation may end up being a little jumbled.

On the recieving end: If you recieve a message addressed to vtext.com, it will automatically cut off @ 160 characters; at least mine did. I did not recieve any sort of message saying anything about not being able to read part of the message (the separate text you were recieving) though; that could indeed be a yahoo thing. I have gotten this message before, but not from emails, and i don't quite know the cause of it to be honest. If you recieve a message through vzwpix.com, it will not be cut off, until you reach 1000 characters i imagine (pix messages still have a limit; it is just higher, @1000). So, i would suggest that he send you messages to the vzwpix.com number at all times, since you have pix messages included in your messaging plan (double check on this; i wasn't aware that non-unlimited plans included them, but i also don't have one, so that may be why i don't know their details).

In his email account, he may have a way of 'linking' 2 addresses (your vzwpix and vtext numbers' addresses) into 1 contact, and thus having htem appear as the same contact, keeping the conversation in 1 email 'thread' conversation. I don't know how yahoo works, and i also haven't tried this ever with gmail, but if he wants to play around, go ahead.

Good luck on getting this to work.

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

blackmamba wrote:

Hi,

I know you can send text messages to an email account if you type in the email address on the phone (even if it is listed in your contacts.) I am having trouble receiving responses back from people who I sent messages to in this way. Last time all I received was "Re:" and an error message "Can't view parts of this message on phone." I don't understand why I am getting this. My only guess is that perhaps my message TO the person was too long so when they wrote back and it included my message, it didn't have enough space/characters to include that person's response? I HAVE received brief responses back from people using this method (text to an email). It usually gives you my original to/date/subject line and then the first few words of my original message to them (thus the "Re:") So instead of just cutting it off, maybe that's what this weird message means? The message was only text (no photos/graphics, etc),  so are we limited in characters when sending to an EMAIL account, unlike regular phone text messaging?  Second question: If this IS the case, and since this phone keeps all the conversations, would this means I would have to delete the conversations each time I email the same person because I would go over the limit each time?

I hope someone understands what I am trying to describe here! Thanks for any feedback. This is really a problem for my friend and I because he does not have free text and I have limited, so I want to be able to send him text to his email instead and have him respond from his email to my text so he does not have to pay for texting.

PS. I know I could set up my email account on the phone, but I do not leave my wifi on all the time, nor can I pick up the signal easily, so that is not an option.

Thank you!!! 

While your phone is able to receive text messages sent from an email server, certain limitations exist. For short messages (up to 160 characters) your friend can send you emails to your phone at yourwirelessnumber@vtext.com and you will receive them as regular text messages. For longer messages sent from an email server, have your friend send you emails to yourwirelessnumber@vzwpix.com and you will receive the messages as Multimedia messages. For more details and options please visit the links below.

For picture messages and long text messages:

www.vzwpix.com

For shot messages:

www.vtext.com

0 Likes