webmail via wifi on Kin?
mculliton

After much travail, I have restricted my Kin2m to wifi by blocking data, but I cannot get to my email account via webmail.  I enter the address in the browser, bing takes over, and reports "no results found".  What gives?  This works perfectly well on a laptop.  It is a pop3 account, and the address downloaded flawlessly before I understood that I was getting it through 3G by default. 

I cannot get bing to take me to the correct address.  Is there a way to use another browser?  Is there some inherent problem with a webmail address?  Please help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: webmail via wifi on Kin?
harpman
Enthusiast - Level 3

did you set up your e-mail account...settings>e-mail>set-up pop3 account for incoming and outgoing mail..once that is set up you shouldn't have to use Bing...your e-mail should sync for whatever you have it set for..a number will come up on your e-mail app for how many e-mails you have ...then you just tap on your e-mail app...you should be able to  retrieve  e-mails via web mail but i think a pop3 account is much easier

View solution in original post

0 Likes
harpman
Enthusiast - Level 3

did you set up your e-mail account...settings>e-mail>set-up pop3 account for incoming and outgoing mail..once that is set up you shouldn't have to use Bing...your e-mail should sync for whatever you have it set for..a number will come up on your e-mail app for how many e-mails you have ...then you just tap on your e-mail app...you should be able to  retrieve  e-mails via web mail but i think a pop3 account is much easier

0 Likes
mculliton

Thanks for the info--it worked, of course.  I was assuming that setting up a pop3 account would default to Verizon's 3G, but with data blocked it works over wifi.  Getting this phone set up properly, due to outright lies and assorted misinformation from Verizon, has been a chore.  But I believe it is now doing what I want it to, and what Verizon promised it would, thanks to your help and the excellent information in this forum.

0 Likes
BrettH

As long as we are on the subject of WiFi, I would like to ask a question here.  I just ordered my Kin2m and it will arrive today sometime.  People on the internet have said that I can access the web using my home WiFi WITHOUT incurring any data charges from Verizon.  Is that true or am I getting bad information? 

If it is true, what steps do I need to take to set that function up?  Also, you mentioned blocking WiFi.....why are you doing that?  Basically folks, I would like to be able to get my corporate e-mails as well as family e-mails from my Yahoo mail account without incurring any data charges from Verizon.  How do I do that?

Thanks in advance!  :smileywink:

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you for your inquiry. Please use the steps below to enable your wifi on your Kin2m. You will not incur data charges on Wifi so long as your not connected onto the Verizon Wireless network. You can set up to ten email accounts total, but you’re limited to setting up one Exchange account. That means, at most, you can have nine POP/IMAP accounts and one Exchange account. You can use any type of email account, including; Branded POP/IMAP email accounts, Other POP/IMAP email accounts, Microsoft Exchange Server email accounts. However, it depends on your Wifi connection if you gain access the these areas after you have set up the email on your phone.

To enable Wifi

1. Tap Settings

2. Go into Wireless Controls

3. Scroll to Wifi, turn the Wifi control - on.  Once Wi-Fi is enabled, device will search for available connections, once discovered; tap Wi-Fi option to connect. A password may be required for connection. You may not be connected to the Verizon Wireless until you go back into the settings the same way as mentioned above to turn off your Wifi connection. 

I am providing a link where you can access as a reference for setting up email and other useful information. When you are accessing the website, simply put your device. The link is: http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html  

0 Likes