4g working but 3g isn't
jbreedlove

So this is completely random and I can't find anyone with the same issue online.  My 4g data service is working fine.  However, whenever I'm in a 3g only area, the 3g is no longer working.  If I look under Wireless & network settings -> Mobile networks -> Network type and strength, it will show that it is getting a 3g signal.  Also, the 3g icon will be visible along the status bar at the top.  Any attempt to access data will not work.

I've even switched to CDMA only as a test and 3g will not work there either (although it will still show as available with a signal).

I've tried rebooting, pulling out the battery & sim card and resetting the phone to factory default.  None of it has worked - I can still use data when in 4g mode, but as soon as it switches to 3g it doesn't work even though it shows a signal.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: 4g working but 3g isn't
B33
Legend

Well short of Taking it back to the store it sound's like you've covered all the Bases Have you called Customer Service if you haven't you might try that an have a Tech go thru the steps you did on your Own an if still no Go with it. Have them Over Night you another Phone. B33

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I wonder if the 3G radio has taken a long walk off of a short pier and has bit the dust.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Could be Budone:  i know on mine when i was in Wichita it was flipping back N fourth from the 4G to 3G on occasion but when it was on the 4G it was Fast. An on the Battery it is Lasting an Extream long time on occasional Use Mine just popped the Red indicator an when i checked to see how long it went since last charge it showed this 2days 10hours 48min. an 32sec.that's pretty good an some of that time it was on the 4g over in Wichita that's when i went over there to get my Hat.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Two days + on a charge with a 4G device and a stock battery is awesome.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yup that's why i Got the Maxx but i wasn't expecting that much time either i am rather shocked in it But i know that would change if i was Texting all the time or Jabbering on it. But it showed me it could last just as long as my Old Droid X an it's Extended Battery did.. when i streamed Winamp for 15 Hours straight an that was the second Day after i got it from the FedEx Guy.

0 Likes
jbreedlove

Ok, so strangely enough, 2 days later it has started working again.  In trying to find this issue, I came across a few people who had DNS issues with their phones at one point or another, so maybe that's what the problem was.  Once the DNS record expired, it would have acquired a new one (or maybe the DNS it was looking for was down).  Anyway, things are back to normal for now.

0 Likes