Automatic Date & Time
dthompson55

Somehow the Automatic date & time, and the Automatic time zone settings get themselves unchecked.  I don't know how it happens, but it's happened three times in the past month.  Is there some way to lock them, and perhaps other settings as well, so they can't be changed?  Or is access to all settings on the LG G2 wide open all the time?

0 Likes
Re: Automatic Date & Time
stef7
Master - Level 2

Some programs you download, you give then permissions to access and manipulate settings. I wouldn't think that would be one of then though. Following updates to your phone, have you ever backed up your important content to a pc and performed a factory data reset? Do you experience any other odd things? I'm not sure you have to do this but this is wierd...

You don't happen to have a child or someone else that may be manipulating settings do you?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I read up on all Android app permissions and several other forum posts from various sites on various phones and OS versions.  No one has found a fix as of yet, but general consensus is that either GPS services or a calendar app may have been a large part of the issue. Perhaps checking into apps that use those features or clearing the cache from those apps may help.  Also, I know you say the check boxes become unchecked, but I wonder if your location is near a time zone border.   I just wasn't able to find more than that on the topic. 

0 Likes
dthompson55

Thank you for the quick response!  I have never backed up the phone nor restored to factory data reset.  It's a new device.  I've had it for about a month.  I am the only user of this phone.  There are no kids in the house.

I suspect what's happening is that it is very easy to get to the settings page from the front panel, and that if the I put the phone in my pants pocket, it doesn't take much to get into settings mode and from there to the date settings and from there turning off those automatic time/date settings.  I've notice other settings get turned off as well, so it's not just the date and timezone.  If there was some way to make it harder to get to the settings page, that would help a lot.  Maybe if that link were hidden, or just not on the front panel?

The first time this happened I was on a trip to a different time zone.  I set the alarm clock to wake me up for the flight back home, and when did went off it was 32 minutes late.  The next time it happened I had set an alarm clock for a morning business meeting and it got me there an hour early.  And then it happened again this week but now I check the time every night, so I caught it.

I was using a blackberry for years before this phone, and they made the settings pages well hidden.  So I was hoping there was a way they could be hidden better on this phone.

0 Likes
dthompson55

My location is not particularly near a time zone.  And I don't really use apps on this phone except for the google maps, alarm clock, mail, messaging and chrome.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I think there are some apps in the Playstore that let you put an additional level of locking and if you want to call it that: Hiding on Settings... Not like you'd normally want to or need to, but I think possible.

0 Likes