Brand new LG Revolution - Will not update to Gingerbread. Stuck on 2.2.2
fatgrumpypizza

We just got a LG Revolution for my girlfriend. she's coming from AT&T on a iPhone 3GS.  The phone will not update to gingerbread (Android 2.3.) everything I have read FROM Verizon is that gingerbread was released for the Revolution in October 2011. I have also used in my own hands Verizon's LG Revolution that was updated with gingerbread OTA. She's having a host of problems, most of the same problems I had on my phone while running froyo. I spoke to technical support at VZW and they claim that there is no such update for that device, even know I provided information published from VZW themselves saying that there is. What is the deal ? I've been a customer of VZW 7 years and have had nothing but great things to say about the service and support but the second I get someone to switch carriers and operating systems, VZW fails me... help me out here guys, shes paying more money to be on verizon and she's not getting what she's paying for.

0 Likes
Re: Brand new LG Revolution - Will not update to Gingerbread. Stuck on 2.2.2
YaleK_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello fatgrumpypizza,

I can certainly understand your frustration with the outdated software being present on the device. Gingerbread really does bring a lot of great features to the Revolution. Can you please advise me which software version is currently on the device? Menu>Settings>About Phone>SW Version and Build Number. When manually searching for the software update what message are you given? I would like to work with you further to find a resolution. Please feel free to send a direct message with your information. Keep in mind, I will have to work directly with the account holder if we have to go over any account specifics. I look forward to hearing from you.

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
fatgrumpypizza

Ok, she's at work right now and this is the information I got from her, I feel like there are more numbers though. She says the SW Version is VS910ZV6 and the Build Number is VS910ZV6 as well. and when we try and update it says "There is no update available" She's off work in a few hours BTW.

EDIT: Just an update. We went to the Verizon store (Actual store, not franchise) and tried to get it updated there but they couldn't do it. they also said that there was never an update for gingerbread on the LG Revolution. They also had a surprised look on their faces when I showed them their floor model running Gingerbread 2.3.4. Then they told me that it was a different phone and they don't have any LG Revolutions on the floor. But anyways, one of the guys there called the LG rep and she said to go to www.lgusa.com and try and update it from there. But that also does not work.

We also found out, from Skype, that Skype can not use a front facing camera unless it's on gingerbread or above. < FroYo is not supported. That sucks in of it self because skype with a front facing is ONE of the main reasons she got this phone as opposed to a DroidX2 or something like that. As I am going to be relocating via the military skype is a very attractive feature to have, to make video calls.

Also I can get her available to talk to should you need personal information.

Thanks for any help you can offer us.

0 Likes
matt423

I purchased my wife an lg revolution on Feb 7,2012 it will not update to android 2.3. I have an lg revolution that was able to update in November. I talked to a rep at a verizon store he told me that i would have to contact LG, Lg said that they do not do the updates Verizon does all of the updates. i have kernel version 2.6.32.9-perf build number VS910VZ6 and Software version VS910ZV6 android version 2.2.2. Also i have done a soft reset and a hard reset. i have went ot about phone>software update>and check new it says no new software update available which i know is wrong.Thanks

0 Likes