Re: Constant GPS problems
wd00

Just started using google maps navigation on my LG G2 and it doesn't work unless I have a wifi signal.  Even with wifi, the lock is weak and constantly looses me.  Without wifi connection it can't find my location at all.  VZ navigator never gets a lock on my location whether on wifi or not.  I've tried all the suggestions above and nothing works.  Clearly this is an issue with many G2 devices.  Are there any fixes for this yet?  Seems like basic functionality is missing on this brand new device.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi wd00 - Let's get you located! Have you tested the GPS function with other apps like Facebook or geo-tagging photos? What are your current GPS settings in Settings>Location.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
wd00

I've tried the GPS function with other apps - trulia, zillow and others.

I've tried it with the GPS & Verizon locations services on and wifi/molbile location on - both on, one on, the other on, all of them with wifi on and wifi off.

Occasionally it will find me if there is a lot of wifi signals around, but then once i start to move it looses me and has me blocks away and it can't find my location again. If there aren't a lot of wifi signals around it sometimes con't find me at all.

Other systems - Tom Tom, garmin, iPhone 4/4S/5 - have no trouble getting a location lock. My phone has nothing but trouble. Thankfully I've only been testing this feature in places that I already know, otherwise I'd be getting seriously lost.

Walt

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wd00,

We don't want you getting lost, I know it's important to have access to it. It sounds like your GPS for other apps is working just fine and as you mentioned, it's just Google Maps. After reviewing your messages, I can confirm the phone is working as designed. The GPS is designed to switch off if you're just looking at the map itself and not actively using to reach a location. It shuts off the GPS immediately when you move out of the app-while multi tasking. However, when you enter an address and obtain directions while trying to reach the destination, GPS will not turn off.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wd00

I'm not sure why you made the assumption that GPS is working on other apps and that my phone is working fine. That is 100% wrong. GPS doesn't work on maps, navigation or any other app that has GPS functionality

I can confirm this 100%. Please do not tell me its working well. Its not. I've tried all combinations of the locations settings and with wifi on and off. It never works the way it is supposed to. That is the issue I have and that is the issue I need fixed - either with a software or hardware update.

Walt

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wd00,

I am sorry for our assumptions. We definitely want you to have a fully functioning GPS. Have you cleared out the data and cache on our map application? If not, please try this, first, disable all your location service. Next, Clear Data/Cache in the Maps application under all applications. Finally, power cycle your phone and turn your location service back on. Let us know if this helps.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bigfun54
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just googling LG G2 GPS issues, this appears to be way more than in isolated problem.  It seems to be rampant and not just restricted to Verizon users.  The most interesting thing I've found with my phone is that if I'm using Google Maps, GPS lock is spotty at best and won't lock for any extended period of time, but if I select Step by Step list, then it locks.  Soon as I go back to the actual navigation, then it loses its lock.  Its bizarre but consistently happening and was curious if anyone else was or could see if this happens to them as well?   Thanks. 

0 Likes
rmille46

Has a fix for this problem been released?

0 Likes
toddcop

Thank god I'm not the only one ready to chuck this damn phone. I have tried all of the steps here on two different LG G2s. There is something fundamentally wrong with this device. I can put my daughter's Samsung S4 on the dash next to mine, both running GPS toolbox and hers has twice the reception.

How do I get Verizon to take back this phone and let me get something that will work appropriately?

0 Likes
dfoshay

I was having problems with GPS not locking after updates.. I uninstalled the google service update and google map update and my GPS is now locking and working fine.. I have also turned auto updates off.

This is my second LG G2 which at first the GPS was working and after update it stopped, Now I am just not isntalling any google service or google related updates.

0 Likes