Hidden Rootkit
themcknights

Greetings!  How concerned should I be over the recent news about the Carrier IQ rootkit?  More importantly, is it on the LG Revolution and if it is how do I go about removing it?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Hidden Rootkit
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I wouldn't be too concerned, everything that has been said from the carriers is that the data is not used at all except for the carriers' own information, mostly just information on how to better sell you phones.  The unfortunate side to it is, nearly every phone has this or something equivalent, from Android to Blackberry to iPhones and possibly even some feature phones.  Also, the only way to remove this is to root your phone and void your warranty.  I think that enough of a stink has been raised over this that some sort of investigation would have to be forthcoming.  Of course, this is just my opinion, but me, personally, I'm not to worried about it.

0 Likes
ebauman

demmo86rt wrote:

I wouldn't be too concerned, everything that has been said from the carriers is that the data is not used at all except for the carriers' own information, mostly just information on how to better sell you phones.  The unfortunate side to it is, nearly every phone has this or something equivalent, from Android to Blackberry to iPhones and possibly even some feature phones.  Also, the only way to remove this is to root your phone and void your warranty.  I think that enough of a stink has been raised over this that some sort of investigation would have to be forthcoming.  Of course, this is just my opinion, but me, personally, I'm not to worried about it.

I'm extremely concerned about this.

If I am accessing a website via HTTPS, such as my banking information, then I don't want anyone else seeing that information besides my bank. The carrier can't see this because it's an SSL connection. However, with this rootkit, they are able to get every keypress that I enter on the phone. This completely cancels out the usage of SSL.

I understand that they want to use the information for how to sell us phones better, but the question is - are we sure that this is all they are using it for? They may say that they are only using it for marketing and QA purposes, but where's the proof. 

You'll never know for sure.

Not only that, but what are the justice system implications for this? For instance, now that the various justice organizations are aware that this exists (who's to say they weren't already?), will they start subpoenaing the information from the carriers? They could have a history of every single action ever performed on my phone right at their fingertips. THAT in and of itself is scary enough.

No, this CarrierIQ thing is extremely disconcerting.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Keep an eye on this, there has been talk of a class action suit, as well as an FTC investigation.  I'm sure if there is any wrong doing, it will be (mostly) exposed.

0 Likes
stonent
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon has said on their twitter page that they do not use the software.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's blown completely out of proportion...  Everyone needs to take their pitchforks and tin hats away...

When all the smoke clears people will find out the data collected is nothing identifying or at all invasion of privacy.  I do not work for CIQ or for any of the carriers mentioned and I see people jumping the gun.

From what I have seen and from what I have seen other people with a rational mind have expressed what I have seen.  There's a lot of technically stuff which wasn't said by either sides, but it will be brought up in court and I am pretty sure the encrypted data is nothing, but dianostic stuff, and often people DO have options to opt out.

For Example if something crashes and asks to send report to HTC(This is where more than likely CIQ comes in) for them to understand what happened so they can find fixes for it.  You can opt out on sending data twice.  Once for what happened and once for location and network position.

What that video shows on YouTube is what ANY computer, or cell phone is doing ALL the time especially when you are looking at it in debugging side of things...

0 Likes