How do I keep the dial pad ON until I end a call?
Suisun-Sue

When making a call that requires an extension to be entered after the called number answers, my dial pad has gone blank or black, such that I cannot see to enter the extension!  How do I keep the dial pad ON until I end the call?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I keep the dial pad ON until I end a call?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Suisun-Sue, I can definitely understand the importance of being able to dial extensions when making calls. Thanks to SuzyQ and stef7, we have some excellent suggestions on resolving this, here. I also want to add that most Android phones also have a call setting option "Turn off screen during calls". This can be found when taping the phone icon, pressing the menu button, and selecting "Call Settings". Here, you'll be able to toggle this option on/off with a checkmark when needed. Thank you for reaching out to us and let us know if you need further assistance.

TanishaS1_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

There should be a proximity sensor that detects when the phone is away from your head, and the screen should come back on when you pull the phone away to enter the extension, or other menu numbers.  If you have a case or screen protector or something that is covering the sensor, then it won't function properly.

You can also set the screen time out for a longer time so it doesn't dim till after you enter the numbers.... say 2 minutes, or 5 minutes.  If you don't set it back to a shorter time after the call though, your battery could drain faster as the screen takes a good deal of battery to keep on.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

This may help:  Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

And, from the User Manual:

Proximity Sensor

You can access the proximity sensor through the Call Settings menu.

When receiving and making calls, this sensor automatically turns the backlight off and locks the touch keypad by sensing when the phone is near your ear. This extends battery life and prevents the touch keypad from activating unintentionally during calls.

To enable the Proximity Sensor:

1. Tap home key > menu key > System settings > Call.
  2. Tap the Proximity Sensor checkbox to enable it. (A blue checkmark will appear.)
0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Engage SpeakerPhone Mode.

Or.

Settings | Call | Show dialpad

There you can select Voicemail / toll free, All Calls, Customized Number

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Suisun-Sue, I can definitely understand the importance of being able to dial extensions when making calls. Thanks to SuzyQ and stef7, we have some excellent suggestions on resolving this, here. I also want to add that most Android phones also have a call setting option "Turn off screen during calls". This can be found when taping the phone icon, pressing the menu button, and selecting "Call Settings". Here, you'll be able to toggle this option on/off with a checkmark when needed. Thank you for reaching out to us and let us know if you need further assistance.

TanishaS1_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Suisun-Sue

I have a "Show dialpad" under "OUTGOING CALL" but it doesn't
do anything.  I don't have a "Proximity Sensor" under CALL setting, only "Show dialpad"

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Beside selecting Show Dialpad, you must then press on it to get options.

BTW, or phone doesn't have the option Tanisha is talking about.

0 Likes