Is there a way to remove the 5.0.2 update?
wannadroid

Neither my wife nor I like a lot of the changes that came with the 5.0.2 update.  Is there a way to revert to the previous version?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: is there a way to remove the 5.0.2 update?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3
0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wannadroid, Getting used to a new software update can take some time. Let's see how we can help you make a smooth transition. What exactly don't you and your wife like about the update? To answer your question, once the software is updated it can not be removed.

SheritaH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
wannadroid

Sherita,

Thank you, but this is not a matter of getting used to a new update.  I have been an IT professional for over 20 years; I know what it takes to get used to updated software.  This is a matter of features changing that were better and more convenient before the change.  This is exactly why I no longer use Microsoft Windows nor, for the most part, Microsoft Office.  Changes that don't improve software but make it more difficult than previous versions should not be forced on the user.  As others have stated, I own the phone - I should not be forced to update to something that I find less acceptable.

To give a few of examples of things that have changed that are worse:

• The swype-style keyboard does a much worse job of understanding the words being typed, the list of words at the top isn't as convenient to use as a drop-down (which you have to hold) rather than sliding to the side, and I used the numbers and symbols that used to be across the top which was more convenient than using long-press on other keys or having to change the keyboard to number/symbol mode
  • "silent mode" is now "no interruptions", which means you won't receive an audible alert when a call, text, email, etc. comes in, but keypresses still make noise and this can't be disabled without disabling the keyboard sounds altogether (not at all convenient if you just want to have the keyboard sounds turn off when the phone is "silenced")
  • The calendar used to have a panel at the bottom showing your current day, even when in month view, which it no longer has, forcing you to go into the day to see what was on it.  What's more, also when in month view, instead of easily seeing icons you had setup for particular appointments, now all that is seen are small rectangles indicating an appointment or meeting is scheduled on that day

These are just a few of many issues we have with this update.  We bought these phones because we liked the interface it had.  I think Verizon should be responsible for now providing my wife and I phones with an interface that is acceptable, since this new interface that we find unacceptable was forced upon us.  My wife actually tried to avoid the update after having seen it on my phone; unfortunately, the other day, the wrong button got pushed when it was asking to install now or later (which was inconvenient as well - you should be allowed to forgo the update - I won't call it an "upgrade" because it's not).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wannadroid

We understand how frustrating it can be at times when something changes after we have gotten used to it. Software updates and UI changes are influence by Google and the manufacturer. One of the greatest things about the Android OS is the ability to change things. When it comes to the keyboard, there are dozens of 3rd party options if you don’t like what comes with it. I personally use the same 3rd party keyboard across all my devices so I have an easier time. The phone still has a silent mode option. What happens when you press the volume button down all the way? Do you still get the vibrate and silent options on the screen?

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes