LG Revolution update
comatt303

Just updated my Rev, had to go to Verizon store and they had to do a total system reinstall.  I lost all of my Apps and started to download them again.  Cannot get the Amazon App Store back, I  guess that is a bonus for Verizon.  I wonder if the next time I have to update if the Android market will be gone?

Talked to VZ CS and all they told me to do is remove the battery and SIM card, "that always works"!  Not this time.  Starting to wonder if I should have switched to another carrier or got the I-phone.  Dumb answer, I knew that the minute I turned on the Rev.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG Revolution update
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The Amazon app store was sideloaded, right? You have to turn on the unknown sources permission and locate the original apk on your SD card using a file explorer app. Otherwise follow the instructions from Amazon again to install the app store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The Amazon app store was sideloaded, right? You have to turn on the unknown sources permission and locate the original apk on your SD card using a file explorer app. Otherwise follow the instructions from Amazon again to install the app store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
comatt303

Thanks that worked.  Now how do I get the Android Market to show me available apps?  Since my update when I open the Android Market when I goto something like Top Free Game, it says "No Matching Content on Android Market"  which is false, I know Angry Birds has to be one top pick for free games!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Have you manually searched for Angry Birds or any other application? Does the market find the app then?

0 Likes
comatt303

Yes, but that's not the point.  An hour before I got the update everything worked fine.  I could go to the Android Market and browse different apps through the Androind Market.  Then I go to the Verizon store, they install the "update" to my phone and now I can only get apps from the Android Market that I know the name of.  Does Verizon or LG even test the updates before they install them?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
When you say the Verizon store, are you talking about the Vcast app store or something else?

0 Likes
comatt303

I mean the physical Verizon store at the mall.  But I do mean the Vcast store will benifit from not allowing you to use the free Android Market or the free Amazon App store (online stores I mean).

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
If they installed the update for you and in the process the phone was factory reset, you needed to sign back into the phone with the same Google account. Purchased applications from the Android Market will be available for download ,but you will have to search for and reinstall all your free applications. As you have discovered, you had to reinstall the Amazon app store. Apps purchased through Amazon will also have to be reinstalled. The "Vcast app store" is another application where you can get apps through Verizon Wireless and gives you the option to charge the cost of any downloaded application through that store.

0 Likes
comatt303

Thank you for your help.  In the Android Market place you can SEARCH for an app, but you can also BROWSE for apps or at least I could yesterday morning. 

I know how to reinstall applications that I downloaded from the Android Market, that is not my problem.  My problem is when I go to the Android Market to BROWSE (not do a search by the app title) for a NEW app that I have never downloaded before all the Arndroid Market says is "No matching content in the Android Market"  when I look under let's say All Games, Top Paid section that is what it says. 

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing there are more than zero games in the Top Paid section of the Android Market.  In the three weeks that I've had this phone and before the Verizon update yesterday I've never seen this, that is until the girl at the Verizon store at the mall installed the software update by a complete factory reset on my phone. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
What version of market is installed on your phone? 2.3.6 or 3.0.27? To check, go settings > applications > manage applications > all tab > scroll down to the Market app and select it.

0 Likes