Legality of auto-update on LG Revolution?
jvdnh3

How legal is it for Verizon to not only preinstall applications that I have no option to remove, but to also update these applications without my permission? I am curious because I would consider suing them.

0 Likes
Re: Legality of auto-update on LG Revolution?
budone
Legend

Wow must be made of money to sue VZW. Besides by signing the contract you gave up your right to sue them. Those are added as they reduce the amount of what you would pay for the phone. Do they keep you from using the device??? No. Are they using resources??? No.

All cell companies do it. I use maybe 1 or two apps that are preloaded. I do not even think of them.

While you are at it, sue your cable company for the 80% of the channels you pay for and never wanted. Oh, nevermind, cant sue them eitherm you agreed to only arbitration when you signed up with them also.

0 Likes
jvdnh3

You're incorrect. First I do not have cable, second I do retain the right to sue them, and third they clearly are using resources if they are on my phone using auto-update and obviously storage space.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

You can sue anyone you want, with VZW small claims only, but you will not be successful without a ton of money and time... all over 500MB of apps..... some need to get out of the basement and see the sun.

FYI, by signing the contract you also agree to what is placed the phone.

But since you know everything about all this, be sure to let us know the outcome in 20 years.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

as budone said, by signing the contract you allowed all this

next time look at the phone, it it has stuff you dont want on it, dont buy it

oh and there are ways to remove anything

but it violates the TOS and warranty

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

For someone who is so ready to take lega action, you don't seem to have read your contract very closely.  Check out your Terms & Conditions.  By using (and continuing to use) Verizon's service, you agree to use arbitration to settle your disputes with Verizon.  You also agreed that Verizon could modify and update, at any time, without your further permission, the applications they have installed on your phone and its operating system.

Don't like that?  Check out the ToS for Android.  It says that Google can delete any app they like off your phone remotely at any time.  Now they say they will only do it when the application is malicious.  But you try to define malicious in a courtroom filled with highly paid Google lawyers.  I can tell you right now who would win, and it isn't you.

0 Likes
bulldog69
Contributor - Level 2

budone wrote:

Wow must be made of money to sue VZW. Besides by signing the contract you gave up your right to sue them. Those are added as they reduce the amount of what you would pay for the phone. Do they keep you from using the device??? No. Are they using resources??? No.

All cell companies do it. I use maybe 1 or two apps that are preloaded. I do not even think of them.

While you are at it, sue your cable company for the 80% of the channels you pay for and never wanted. Oh, nevermind, cant sue them eitherm you agreed to only arbitration when you signed up with them also.

Love it and your 100% correct

0 Likes