My LG G2 has screen and headphone problems
Talchosen

I bought my LG G2 last September, so the 1-year warranty ran out couple weeks ago.

Since couple weeks ago, my phone was having problems such as dead screen zone that I cannot touch right in the middle, headphone disconnections, loudspeaker not working and left side of the headphone not working at all(and this is not headphone problem, the headphone worked just fine in all the other devices except my LG G2).

All of the above are not software problems since I did the factory reset and everything was same.

So I guess I have to walk into the verizon store and get a fix or replacement. I have a Moderate Total Mobile Protection plan, and how much does it cover? Will it cover my LG G2? Would it cover rooted phone also? If I get charged for that, then how much would be charged?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My LG G2 has screen and headphone problems
Snn5
Legend

Basically the term root is never used, but terminology such as "user programmed" or "altering of the operating system" are similar terms used. I read that article and while you may get away with it, same goes for not getting away with it. Rooting has become much less needed as of late. True there are things to tinker with and maybe some of it is useful, but support for VS980 is very limited and not worth the hassle. You can try to undo what you did via other Android user sites or go for the warranty exchange and risk it. If you can't fix it yourself then you're up against $100-$400.  So....you may have to risk it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The protection plan extends the manufacturer warranty. But since you're rooted that is void. So its $100 deductible to replace the phone, but that usually covers accidentals. Rooting is intentional and the phone retains memory of rooting. Even if you unroot. So.....a store will tell you the same and if you send in the unit for warranty you'll be charged either the deductible, if covered, or be charged $300+ for the replacement they sent you.  You won't get your original phone back either way. LG won't cover due to out of warranty. You may have to go another route, but we can't talk about that according to forum rules.  Good luck.

0 Likes
Talchosen

So you are saying that Verizon will not fix or replace my phone even the malfunction has nothing to do with rooting?

Obviously it is the digitizer and loudspeaker/headset board failure which has nothing to do with rooting.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/16/verizon-begins-charging-full-price-of-warranty-phones-if-rooted...

that forum says verizon does not charge for rooting, however it is 3+ year old information so I am really confused

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Basically the term root is never used, but terminology such as "user programmed" or "altering of the operating system" are similar terms used. I read that article and while you may get away with it, same goes for not getting away with it. Rooting has become much less needed as of late. True there are things to tinker with and maybe some of it is useful, but support for VS980 is very limited and not worth the hassle. You can try to undo what you did via other Android user sites or go for the warranty exchange and risk it. If you can't fix it yourself then you're up against $100-$400.  So....you may have to risk it.

0 Likes