Phone issues/phone switching policies?
ashmariex3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

I typically never have problems with my cell phones. I recently switched from Apple to Android (for the second time..). I had a great experience the first time around, with the Galaxy S3, but unfortunately my screen shattered and I didn't have device support at the time. So, when I needed to upgrade from the iPhone 5, I decided to go back to Android. I chose the G2 because I had heard nothing but good things about it.

3 devices later...I'm still having random issues! My first phone would constantly keep shutting off while I was in the middle of doing something, so I took it back to the store. The rep blamed it on me at first, but said if it keeps acting up, to bring it back in a couple days and they could troubleshoot. Needless to say, that didn't work, so I wound up getting a new phone. My second G2 was constantly overheating. I couldn't leave it in my pocket because it would become uncomfortable to the touch (I also had this issue with the first one, but it wasn't as bad). Unfortunately, I lost that one because I had it out of my pocket due to it always overheating and draining my battery.

The one I have currently (number 3), was great in the beginning. Then, its true colors showed. I have a problem with overheating and draining battery, especially in my pocket. It won't send text messages, and I have to do a hard reset in order for them to send. I also have problems with sending picture messages and the phone taking forever to register calling someone. I feel like I've tried every troubleshooting tip in the book, and it's to no avail. I've really run out of options, short of running to the store for the millionth time.

All in all, I've just been extremely disappointed with my phone. I've had to delete any app that isn't absolutely necessary (and some that are) in order to try to get it to work properly. It sucks that I can't use it for what I want, instead I have to treat it as a "dumb" phone (ie. using it only to call and text, when it works).

I am wondering, however, if there is a policy Verizon has when you're this upset with your phone, ie. a switch policy. Probably a long shot, but I figured I would ask. Thanks in advance!

Re: Phone issues/phone switching policies?
ashmariex3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should mention that, yes, I have insurance. But, if I keep getting a defective phone, what's the point?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Let me speak from experience in this matter. I am on my 4th phone now I also have the lg g2.  If you have insurance you will continue to get the exact same model phone until you either cancel service buy a new phone at full retail cost or eventually upgrade your phone at the end of your contract. Verizon no longer has a lemon law in place to replace a defective model phone with a different model phone even if that phone is defective for the same reason 3 or more times. I have gone through countless steps resets exchanges and even network extenders yet Verizon continues to say that they cannot replace my phone for any reason whatsoever even though this phone is the only phone I have ever had the same multiple issues with time and time again.  The best thing you can hope for is to get in touch with a support supervisor who may or may not let you early upgrade and extend your contract and buy a new phone at the 2 year contract price. Be warned though your price will not be the exact price listed on the Internet, it will not have rebates or incentives so your cost for that phone may exceed your early termination fee. So to answer your question simply, you will have the G2 until the end of your contract.

Snn5
Legend

The reason you keep insurance is for accidental. You have the initial one year warranty after that your insurance will cover all of your replacement as long as it is not your fault. Without that insurance you would be paying upwards of five to six hundred dollars for another phone. Just like with any other insurance policy its only good if you need it but you hope you never do. If you add up the deductible plus each monthly payment amount you almost have another phone anyway. The issue that remains is will you have 500 or more dollars at that one unexpected time. So either way you're paying for another phone at the end of the contract it's just a matter of do you want to be able to do it right then or do you have the money saved up in case that time arrives.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It should also be mentioned that any phone purchased right now will have problems going into the new Android 5.0 L OS.  Even the G3, while great, and free on contract, is almost 9 months old.  You basically find yourself with an old outdated phone for the next 2 years.  The best plan of action is to buy a phone, on contract for a good price, that is 6 months old.  This means it already has a later version of Android OS, and means it is likely to get the next update as well.  Android tends to update phones that are within the 18 month life span. 

On another note:  Say you got the insurance for accidentals and warranty extension.  It was $8 a month, now it is $9.  So, $9x24=$216 +$99 deductible=$315.  Usually, you are near your contract end when things fall apart and maybe even break physically.  At that point you could get a new phone for way cheaper, or if a little early you might can Early Edge upgrade.  But, that puts you into paying $600 for a new phone for 24 months and monthly payments.  It's really a losing situation for the customer.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Sorry for the multiple posts, but you should also think about the cost of repairs.  If you have no insurance you can bet on paying the shipping to and from LG to repair the phone, which if it was a screen issue such as shattering, you could buy a replacement part for a lot less online, or if water damage you could be looking at a total loss.  Meanwhile, you have spent $50 in shipping costs and you will be out of a phone for 3 weeks minimum.  Also, even if it is a total loss, you'll have to have it shipped back to you. This is only feasible if you expect to pay $300 approx for repairs and shipping AND you already have a back up phone to use in the meantime.

0 Likes
ashmariex3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for getting back to me. It's okay about the multiple posts, you really helped me out with this. I've been at a loss since I got the phone (and it's only been 2 months, mind you).

Hate to say it, but that new plan from Sprint looks really good right now, lol.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, hold up.  VZW has the best coverage, even if not the best rates, customer service, or prices.  The Sprint deal makes you turn in that phone you just bought.  True, the rate plan may be half, BUT you now must buy another phone in installments, so that 50% is more like 10-20% savings, and about 75% less coverage area.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

BUT, doing the math, for ME anyway...My plan is $60 a month.  Add $8 for insurance and $5 for fees and taxes.  About $75 a month.  On Sprint that would be half the base rate, which is $60/2=$30.  Plus $8 insurance and $5 taxes.  All of this is rounded math.  This equals $45 a month for ME.  OK, now $45x24=$1080.  This figures Sprints and VZWs contract is 2 years.  (AT&T does 36 months.  Cheaper monthly phone payment, 1 extra year.  They basically lower the rate by 1/3rd.)  SO, $1,080 + $500 and tax is 10% or $50 and you have a total of $1,630.  So, in the end, I pay about $1,800 for 2 years on a -$50 to $50 phone depending on pricing and promotions at the time.  1800-1630=$170.  It would be that one time in the sticks or forest or some dark hole where that $170 savings would bite my butt.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

And again, all this no contract carrier talk...foolishness.  You either pay more for the plan or more for the phone.  So, you went to T-Mobile and paid $50 a month and a $500 phone.  OK, so you paid off the phone, now its your very own 2+ year old phone.  So, you can take it to any carrier?  Theory is that you can since phones are now by law unlocked, but where you going to take it?  It is not guaranteed to work on any other carrier than the one you bought it at.  It might, work, might not.  You buy a phone to use, if you dont have coverage, you dont use the phone.  You pick your carrier based on coverage, then plan cost, then phone.  If you have coverage everywhere you are with Carrier X, then you choose a (contract or not) plan you like, that you can keep no matter what phone you get next.  T-Mobile is tail here, so is Sprint.  AT&T works fine, but Verizon gave me the best plan.  I know I can go anywhere with VZW and keep this plan.  The hard part for me is the phone.  But, once you have one, you stay with it till the end apparently.  This is why I stay on contract plans.  You'll always need a phone.  Choose a plan you can keep.  Phones and plans change, but a plan you can keep is mostly forever, or until they wildly change it or you give it up to get a new phone.  The phones are the catch. 

0 Likes