Proximity sensor failure ?
Rudderman18

Proximity sensor doesn't work when placing a call. How can I retrieve important voice mails if proximity sensor will not open dial pad after a dialed number?  No screen protector in place so that is not an issue.  Shaking phone after dark screen at start of call has no effect.  Without a dial pad, I cannot continue to enter my voice mail access codes, etc.   Unit is only 2 months old - worked fine until about 2 weeks ago.     Lots of similar proximity issues with this and other makes of phones.  Can it be turned off?  I don't need to press my ear against phone, so am not worried about possible accidental hang ups, etc.  I just NEED MY VOICE MAIL ACCESS!

0 Likes
Re: Proximity sensor failure ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rudderman18,

We want you to be able to enjoy using your device keypad while on a call! Has there been any resent downloads on your device since this issue began? Try this... http://vz.to/1rtdEvQ Let us know if the issues with the proximity sensor are still evident while the phone is in Safe Mode.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Rudderman18

"Safe Mode" had no effect on the operation of the sensor. In "Safe Mode" I dialed *86 for voice mail, and when I pressed the call button, the screen went blank (Black) and I could not use the calling feature of the phone until the voice mail system hung up. Pressing the rear power button returned my screen to operational status for all apps, etc.

Worth a try - didn't work!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

No, when dialing, if the screen goes black, give it a shake, like you were cracking a whip and that will illuminate the dialpad again.  Try it.

I think you can also specify what calls the dialpad stays visible. Forgot where that setting is though.

0 Likes
Rudderman18

Nope - already set to keep screen on when placing calls.

Seems this sensor issue is wider than just me and a few other people. Lots of people and lots of different phone makes have shown issues via Google.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Rudderman18!

I regret to learn of any issues with your proximity sensor after the update. I have some troubleshooting steps for you to try. Please recalibrate the Motion Sensor located at Settings>Gestures>Motion Sensor Calibration>Then it prompts you to recalibrate.

Keep me posted on the results, thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Rudderman18

Tried that before - no difference

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

But did you try to use the flick of the wrist / whip gesture to bring the keyboard back up? Works for me all the time. It's behavior with the LG G2 I'm just used to.

0 Likes
Rudderman18

Tried it - and after a call, I have to use the power on button process to regain use of the screen. Waving hand over sensor also doesn't make screen brighter or darker.

Basically, I've tried all of the suggestions that are contained in the many forum discussions (complaints ?) about the G2 sensor. Even took it into a local Sprint shop and they went through a lot of their tests. Probably will become a warranty return/exchange. Without getting my screen to come back during a call, I cannot access my voice messages - so is there a work around for that issue? I have messages, but can't tell if any are critical and need a response - other than to have the caller finally connect with me via landline and indicate frustration I didn't listen/respond to their message.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

No during a call, you flick your wrist like you were cracking a whip, and the display should illuminate. Works for me.

Try Settings | Call | Show Dialpad, and select Voicemail / Toll-Free.

The prox sensor doesn't handle screen intensity. That's what the light-level sensor does.

And your screen brightness (Settings | Display | Brightness) has to be set to Automatic Brightness for the light-level sensor to do anything.

Download Elixr 2 from the Playstore. Select Sensors to test both the light sensor and proximity sensor.

0 Likes