This LG G2 update is sad
Grin4848
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do I stop this new update from draining my battery so quickly. By 12 noon my battery is at 50% or less. Just as I write this it's dropped 4%. How do I fix this?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: This LG G2 update is sad
Snn5
Legend

This is what I do everytime an update is coming.

Plug into charger for the entire process

Charge to 100% and back up and factory reset the G2

(DISABLE google backup and restore of apps and app data)

Install update

Factory reset one more time

Unplug from charger

Set up your phone

Leave G2 on until it dies and turns off 1 time

Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.

The reasons for disabling app data is due to the fact that DAVLIK is now ART and the Android Optimization process might not go as planned if you just slap 5.0.2 over the old 4.4.2.  Also, when you go back to the Play Store to download apps, they will be the correct version this time for this OS.  Also, if contacts will not sync correctly, check your ICE contacts (might have to delete those)...sometimes they prevent a proper sync.

View solution in original post

TrekkieMonster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry you've joined this club, too.  There are a number of discussions posted here on this topic. It might be reading through them to get additional ideas. As for me, I took the suggestion of others and found that doing a Factory Data Reset after the upgrade (I've actually done a couple) helped. You will want to back up any data you want to keep (e.g., pictures, music, custom ringtones, etc.) as these will be deleted as part of the FDR. And you will have to re-install all this data as well as your apps afterward, but it has helped many of us. In addition, check your Location settings. Many of us have found that either turning Location to off or to Battery Saver mode (as opposed to the default "High Accuracy") mode helps, as well.  However, this can hinder the operation of some apps as navigation programs. I have to turn my phone back to High Accuracy when I use Waze, for instance.  Those are just a few tips that I've found helpful. Hope they help you, as well.  But, be forewarned, after the upgrade, you will likely never get battery life like you had pre-upgrade. Even employing these tips, I find that my battery still drains 20%-30% faster than it did before, and charges 10%-20% slower.  Hoping for a rumored firmware update soon, that fixes the issue (as well as a few others.) Best of luck.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

This is what I do everytime an update is coming.

Plug into charger for the entire process

Charge to 100% and back up and factory reset the G2

(DISABLE google backup and restore of apps and app data)

Install update

Factory reset one more time

Unplug from charger

Set up your phone

Leave G2 on until it dies and turns off 1 time

Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.

The reasons for disabling app data is due to the fact that DAVLIK is now ART and the Android Optimization process might not go as planned if you just slap 5.0.2 over the old 4.4.2.  Also, when you go back to the Play Store to download apps, they will be the correct version this time for this OS.  Also, if contacts will not sync correctly, check your ICE contacts (might have to delete those)...sometimes they prevent a proper sync.

Tommyboy56
Enthusiast - Level 2

This actually seems helpful and makes sense. Question, do you lose your contacts when you disable Google back up? I've always felt not saving app data was the right choice before  an update . Causes too many conliqt

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You don't lose the contacts, you are just taking steps before an FDR to make sure you don't carry over any bad software info when you reset.  When you re-setup the phone you have the option to re-enable Google Backup.  The contacts will restore then as soon as the sync process starts.

0 Likes
joemeysen
Enthusiast - Level 2

The factory reset does help, but this update has turned a perfectly good phone into complete garbage.  The fact the Verizon, LG, and Google push these updates out with all these issues makes me want to switch off android completely.  LG has the G4 is coming out, so at least they have a shiney new phone while us others are a complete mess.