Totally Confused by Fee
FEDUP2014
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I recently sent back a defective LG G2. I took it to my local Verizon store and told the sales rep what was going on. (Jumpy screen, apps closing and opening by themselves, pages scrolling randomly, etc.) She looked at my phone, immediately told me the best course of action would be to get a replacement because it's under warranty. She set up a replacement to be sent to me and I went home.

The "new" phone was a refurbished one. I was a bit miffed, but okay. I packed up my old phone, and shipped it out to Verizon.

I just got an email claiming there is damage to the phone (WHAT?!) and I will now be charged $300 for a refurbished phone. I will not get the other phone back.

The email apparently had a picture that I cannot open. There is no file attached TO open. The description of the damage is vague. They expect me to shell out $300 by just going on that alone?

Now, there is something wrong here. I was never given the choice to fix the broken phone or any other options. They stuck me with this fee after the rep told me to just get a replacement. How is this fair?

This is the second chance I have given Verizon. If I cannot resolve this fairly, it will be the last.

Thanks, I think...

0 Likes
Re: Totally Confused by Fee
Not applicable

Oh, I wonder if via your own words of.....

Now, there is something wrong here. I was never given the choice to fix the broken phone or any other options. They stuck me with this fee after the rep told me to just get a replacement. How is this fair?

So it would seem you knew there was damage prior to it being shipped back for replacement. In this case the charges are correct and you must pay.

Good Luck

Snn5
Legend

I have had several replacement phones over the years.  All of mine thus far were replaced due to software issues mainly experienced after major updates.  A couple have been hardware related, such as headphone jack or speaker malfunction.  I have never had a warranty claim such as water/drop damage, broken screen, or loss/theft.  I pay for the Asurion insurance which covers warranty after manufacturer's date ends and from damages of my own fault. 

That being said, every time I have called in to or used online chat with VZW for assistance with a problem that required replacement, the first thing suggested after a reboot, then a reset, is a replacement.  Even in store that's pretty much the first thing they do.  IDK if it's because of a time constraint in store or a lack of technicians or maybe a lack of equipment to repair phones in-house, but it seems easier/cheaper for them to replace a phone then to repair one.  I know we'd all like to have our new phone repaired, but in actuality our phone is a refurbished phone at that point of repair.  So, whether you get a refurb, or they refurb your phone, it's still refurbed.

Now, whether online or on the phone or in store the reps always say something like "OK we are going to send you a replacement and when you get it you have 5 days (approx) to return your defective phone to us."  I always keep a copy of the shipping label and track the number until notification of VZW receiving has been received.  I have had problems with that before, such as reused/recycled tracking numbers which showed my package being received months prior to me sending it and from locations 100s of miles away.  But, to get back on track, the reps rarely say anything about the customers responsibility after they leave the store or the defective phone is returned to VZW.  I think they like to rely on the paperwork on the electronic screen you sign on the penpad at the store or printed paperwork in store to inform the customer of rules applying to returns.  I believe that when you initiate a return via online chat that your receipt of the refurb phone via FedEx or other shipper (signature is always required) constitutes compliance with the same rules that are on the paperwork.

In the end here I suppose I'm trying to say that between what we are and aren't told by human reps versus what we may or may not know from direct paperwork or implied paperwork is really the point.  As far as choices go I have always seen where the original phone will not be returned.  Yes, this pretty much locks you in to the phone because you cant just get your old phone back and send them the replacement back.    Now, with insurance you could file a claim and pay the deductible which is about a 3rd of that replacement charge.  They do all this most likely to discourage false returns. Most folks won't go through the hassle of all this if they know they have damage and will just use their insurance.  As far as the email with no attachment, I have gotten many documents in my "My Verizon" inbox which wouldn't open or display properly. 

I know none of this answers your question or fixes your problem.  I think it comes down to proper communication between all facets of VZW from online to in-store to on the phone.  As much as they may not give us all the info needed, such is the fact that proving they didn't give those details becomes equally vague.  I think that in the end, if you signed anything at all then the fine print is what sealed that deal.

0 Likes
FEDUP2014
Enthusiast - Level 1

No, I was not aware of any damage when sending it in.  At that time, it was considered a defect to be replaced, via the Verizon sales rep.

0 Likes
FEDUP2014
Enthusiast - Level 1

Snn, thank you for the reply and I do believe you are correct when you say they have us. I would love to have proof of what exactly the damage is, or at least an explanation. I've been carrying phones for years and years and have never damaged any of them. Sigh. I'll be contacting Verizon by phone today. Doubt if it will do any good.

Thanks again.

<< Content edited to remain family-friendly and comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service  >>

Post edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

With enough persistence perhaps you can accomplish success.  I know I'd want to have verification if I was up against a $300 bill.  I think that they should provide clear proof though.  Might be your saving grace in addition to not having previous claims.