Verizon and LG -- Thank you for ruining the nicest phone I ever had.
mako42
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know there are other similar topics on this board, but Verizon and LG are not listening so I'm trying again.

The Lollipop 5.0.2 update has been a disaster and the sooner you admit that to yourselves, the sooner you will give us an update that works and doesn't (literally) burn a hole in our pockets. I often have to reboot my phone or put it in airplane mode just to cool it down. One of these days, the heat is going to ruin it for good (as in fry the hardware). Hopefully, it won't set fire to my pants before that day.

Other than the heat (and the battery drain that goes with it), I have terrible lagging (embarrassing when someone else wants to look at or try my phone), a home launcher that is constantly swapping out of memory, the need to constantly hit "Clear All" to free up enough memory to load a picture in messaging or email, the need to reboot almost daily (for the same reason -- freeing up the constant lagging), total lack of response (hit a button or icon and nothing happens, hit it again and get the action twice - not always desirable), etc, etc, etc.

PLEASE, give us a 5.1 update or give us a phone that works (I'll take a G4 with black leather because apparently the G3 has the same problems). Otherwise, I'm switching to Samsung.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon and LG -- Thank you for ruining the nicest phone I ever had.
Snn5
Legend

Never had an issue with the 4 LG G2s I have worked with.  It's not as widespread as you think.  The biggest issue is that neither Google nor Verizon instructed people on how to update properly.  A factory reset was essential before installing the update.  This would include 1 special step:  DISABLE app and app data restore.  One can still do the same after the installation as well though.  The reason is because the runtime format changed from KK to LP.  Most apps that were restored, restored the old runtime data.  This caused issues.  Reinstalling fresh from the Play Store helps to alleviate this issue.

mako42
Enthusiast - Level 3

I disagree that it is not as widespread as you think. Have you checked other topics on this board? The ones with 5.0.2 issues have many pages of discussion.

FWIW, I did do a Factory Reset. It was a pain in the butt. Now your telling me I have to uninstall and reinstall every single app? I can't do that with the system ones which are probably the ones causing most of the problems (Android System and Android OS are often the top two offenders on the most used battery list).

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

3rd party apps you downloaded are different than the OS apps which are already optimized for LP.  Yes, I have seen the other threads and have been a major player in the resolution process.  I stand behind my process and reasoning.  Others do as well.  If you would like to try this method, I have it listed below.  If you do not, then best wishes.

Once you get the notification that the update is available or has already downloaded, BUT has yet to install: (you can also do after installation as well.

1.  Stay plugged into charger for the entire process

2.  Charge to 100% and back up music, photos, files etc...contacts should be saved to Google Account and use Google Drive or Google Photos to back up with as well and apps are saved in a list in your My Apps screen in the Play Store app and online using the desktop page.

3.  DISABLE Google backup and restore of apps and app data in your Backup and Reset tab in your phone's main settings screen.

4.  Factory Reset the phone

5.  Download and/or Install update from notification bar (may have to manually check for update in About Phone/System Update to kick start it) at next boot/power on after skipping set up if possible

6.  Phone will reboot after installation.  Factory reset one more time as soon as possible before setting up the phone (you may have to press the back button a few times to escape the set up screen, or you may be able to skip it.  Just go back to the Backup and Reset tab and FDR again.

7.  Unplug from charger at 100% recharged

8.  Set up your phone however you like to include apps from your My Apps screen in either the Play Store App or from the PC webpage version

9.  Leave phone on until it powers off

10.  Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.

The reasons for disabling app data is due to the fact that DAVLIK is now ART and the Android Optimization process might not go as planned if you just slap the new OS over the old OS.  Also, when you go back to the Play Store to download apps, they will be the correct version this time for this OS. 

mako42
Enthusiast - Level 3

And the fact that I have not been able to download updates from GOOGLE PLAY (a core app that should not be effected by DALVIK/ART) with WI-FI since the update is a coincidence? My data usage was 2-3GB before the upgrade and is now 6GB or more (one month almost 12GB). A lot of it has to do with the fact that I can't use WI-FI reliably anymore. Just tell people hey, just take 8-10 hours of your time and totally re-build your entire phone and you MIGHT be OK is a cop-out if you ask me. The fact is I once LOVED this phone and now I will never buy another LG product again EVER.

0 Likes
mako42
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh and BTW, I have never, ever, used App Data or App Backup/Restore. Obviously, I am frustrated with this phone and having spent a small fortune on it, I don't think it is fair that we were given a half baked update. From reading on the Internet, it is obvious that 5.1 corrected many of the problems that 5.0.2 had. And if we don't get the 5.1 update, then LG and/or Verizon dropped the ball. I think it is important that people understand that.

0 Likes
mako42
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK. I'm about 10 hours into this so far and although I don't have my phone restored yet, I do see glimpses of it's former self. It took me more than 9 hours to kill the battery (100% down to 0%) and I had a screen on time of OVER 4 hours and 45 minutes (substantially more than the 90 minutes I've been getting since the update). The jury is still out but it appears that it is on the road to recovery. Why we have to spend many, many hours of our time to straighten things out still remains a mystery.

mako42
Enthusiast - Level 3

WI-FI still doesn't work. Wasted 10 hours of my time and the phone still doesn't do what it is supposed to do. Good thing I have unlimited data.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

DNSet didn't work for you?  Must be your router then.  You just need 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  Turn off ipv6.

0 Likes