Why can't I connect to wi-fi at work?
Yvonnewisc

When I try to connect to WI-FI at work, it comes back as Avoided poor internet connection. Signal strength is excellent, but under Security is says none.  Is this a WI-FI issue or a security issue.  Everyone else with a Smartphone can get on to the WI-FI there.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't connect to WI-Fi at work
Snn5
Legend

Did you try the advanced settings under Settings-WIFI-menu-Advanced.  I unchecked all 3 boxes. (signal weak, internet unavailable, and optimization.)  I have heard of people having issues with WiFi when these options are selected. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Yvonnewisc, let's get to the bottom of this! Does your wifi work and connect on other systems other than your work? You may want to inquire with your employer's IT Department to see if there is any type of security or access that you need to connect.

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
o_O1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Obvious question but... Do you have the proper password? My G2 can access my work network. Does your G2 access WiFi at home and places like Starbucks and the like that have open networks?

0 Likes
jlgclassof2000

not sure what you mean security says none, but whatever the case, I also had a lot of trouble connecting to WiFi after we got a new modem & router from Comcast (our cable company), although we connected just fine to the old equipment.  We got new equip. all set up & had the WiFi working properly on our laptops, but when trying to connect to WiFi on our phones, we'd enter the password, & then it would say "saved, secured" but it did not say "connected" like it should.  We went in circles for hours trying to find a way to connect, & finally I noticed that under the advanced settings (on our phones) for the network/WiFi connection, it showed a Mac address, but the IP address was either blank or said "unavailable" (or something like that.) Since we weren't on any kind of Mac device, this seemed it had to be the source of the problem, & it was.  The bad news is that I have no idea what actually fixed it.  We tried resetting the modem/router a time or 2, & also tried restarting our phones, but neither fixed the problem.  However, eventually something fixed it & once fixed, I could then see an IP address assigned where there was none before.  So, perhaps that is something you could check, but I don't know exactly the cause or the solution  =(

0 Likes
dynod

I have the exact same problem.  I have the Mac address showing up but no IP address.  I don't have access to resetting my router a few times (apartment complex) so how can this be fixed??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dynod, we don't want this to be a problem for you too. Which make/model device do you have? Are you able to connect to that Wi-Fi connection with any other wireless devices?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dynod

My phone is an LG G2.  I have definitely been able to get on this wireless router with other devices.

Dan

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@dynod,

Thanks for the additional info! Try deleting the WiFi connection on your phone and adding it back. Are you able to connect the G2 to other WiFi in other locations?

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Did you try the advanced settings under Settings-WIFI-menu-Advanced.  I unchecked all 3 boxes. (signal weak, internet unavailable, and optimization.)  I have heard of people having issues with WiFi when these options are selected. 

0 Likes