Why doesn't my LG G2 have GSM mode?
avp87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi my LG G2 (vs980) does not have a GSM mode listed under network modes (only cdma and lte/cdma modes show up). I am out of the country at the moment and this prevents me from using a microsim card from my local carrier in india. I had called customer care before I left and they assured me twice that the phone was already unlocked for use with any sim worldwide. What can I do to get it to accept gsm cards?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG G2 no gsm mode
avp87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply, the problem has been resolved. The issue was that the sim card had been cut improperly, leading to poor contact when inserted. I had another regular-sized sim card cut and inserted, and viola! it works fine. Many thanks again for the assistance!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I believe our phones are set to Global.  That would allow use out of the states.  The capability is there, but as I have never gone out-of-states, I'm not sure how that works.

avp87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply. If I do not choose either the cdma only or cdma/lte mode options, after a while the phone asks me if I want to set it to global, which I did accept. Even then, the phone does not recognize the sim card, I've tried rebooting the phone multiple times as well. There is a gsm/umts mode under settings>tethering and networks> mobile networks, but it is grayed out, meaning I cannot select it. I've inserted the same sim into an unlocked galaxy S4 from T-mobile and it worked fine here, no problems. not sure if I'm missing something.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The t-Mobile is GSM.  International Trip Planner  Click on that link.  Tells you what you need to do.  I selected Country and India in Location.   I chose Smartphone under Communication, and LG G2 under Device.  Global Travel Program FAQs | Verizon Wireless  This link answers some questions for rates.  I think you can use the G2 in India on this program.

avp87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply, the problem has been resolved. The issue was that the sim card had been cut improperly, leading to poor contact when inserted. I had another regular-sized sim card cut and inserted, and viola! it works fine. Many thanks again for the assistance!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Pretty awesome that it was that simple!!!

0 Likes