why is messenger so slow?
rozzer
Enthusiast - Level 3

With the new software update, messenger takes minutes to send a text. My wifes Iphone 5s works in seconds at the same location. The text shows "sending..." and I've seen over 10 minutes required to send a message.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: why is messenger so slow?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hi Rozzer
Thanks for replying. Let's start with the sim card pull. Here's how:  http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/g2/simulator/

Pls let us know if the issues persist.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hello rozzer!

I want those messages flowing between your phones! Let's take a closer look into this OK? When did your phone complete the update? It does take up to a week to optimize the device after an update is completed, so I just wanted to see when it was done.

What type of messenger service are you using? Text messaging? Facebook Messenger? Please clarify for me, thanks!

Have you completed any troubleshooting? Please power off the device and remove the SIM card for about 60 seconds. Once that time has elapsed, reattach the SIM card and power back on. If your issue is regular text messaging, are you using the stock messaging application that the device came with, or a 3rd party app? If the stock app, after you power on, test it by sending a message to another number to check it. Please also send a message to your own phone number to test incoming and outgoing messages.

ChristinaB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
rozzer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your response.

Okay – here’s some info.

The update was done two weeks ago.

Am using the supplied messenger app. Haven’t tried Facebook.

Sometimes the sending of a simple text appears to take over 5 minutes!

It does not appear to be tied to signal strength.

Just tried sending a quick message to wife’s iPhone – after just over two minutes it was received but my phone was still displaying the “sending...” status.

Have changed priority setting from normal to high both for text and mms – no apparent effect.

Tried sending text to my phone – first one seemed to work fine – second one was slow, maybe 20 seconds to complete.

Phone is LG G2 – no sim card to play with.

Have cycled power off/on – no apparent effect.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hi Rozzer
Thanks for replying. Let's start with the sim card pull. Here's how:  http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/g2/simulator/

Pls let us know if the issues persist.

JoeL_VZW
0 Likes
rozzer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ah hah! Tried your suggestion – (Thanks for pointing that out) and got same problem but with an error message saying something like “unfortunately wireless storage ....don’t recall the rest.

I did try to send a message and it was delivered after about 90 seconds but the “sending .... status lasted for 4 to 5 minutes.

A reply was sent and I got it quickly. May be an outgoing thing only – not enough testing to verify that though.

Tried several more texts which seemed to act normally – perhaps more time was required to initialize sim?

Looking promising – I’ll beat it up a bit and contact you if problem returns.

BTW – I got a screen that said error code 9001 call 800 922-0204 this morning – it’s happened before but I have not reported it.

A clue?

Gene

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

If you have tried the SIM card pull, try pulling it with the phone on, then power down and re insert and power on.  Second, clear the cache for the stock messenger app in app manager.  3rd, if you haven't already done so, a factory reset is almost a necessary step with this last update.

0 Likes
rozzer
Enthusiast - Level 3

the other issue I’ve encountered is really poor battery life now. Any suggestions in that department?

Snn5
Legend

Factory reset.

0 Likes
rozzer
Enthusiast - Level 3

texting and multimedia seems to be back on track. Any advice as to how to get the battery life back to something reasonable. I’d estimate that it’s lasting 30-40 % of the previous os version. Are there new apps in the background or options that need to be reset after the rev 5 update? A FDR seems excessive, but also seems to be the consensus.

Thanks for your time.

Gene

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Those apps are theoretically optimized during the update, but sometimes they don't and you wind up with apps that need to be uninstalled and reinstalled.  You can spend some time trying to find those affected ones, or take care of the system as a whole in one swoop, which can greatly benefit other processes as well.

0 Likes