Re: After Lollipop, native email app won't connect on WiFi
jayare
Contributor - Level 2

ggnmg3703, I see what you're doing there. I'm having problems with my Gmail app syncing over WiFi. It does fine over 4G/3G/1x, but won't retrieve email over WiFi. By putting in the IPv4 address, you are forcing the phone to look for it, rather than defaulting to the IPv6 address. This will be the best workaround for routers/ISPs that are not yet ready for IPv6. My problem is, I've been looking and can't seem to find where to change this information on the Gmail app. If anyone can enlighten me, if it's possible, I would appreciate it.

BTW, for all my other email accounts, I'm using the K9 app with no problems over WiFi or data.

ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

Update:  if the outgoing mail fails, apply same process to the outgoing credentials.  My phone works with a server name for outgoing, but my wife just realized she could not send emails.  I updated the server name to the IP of the outgoing server on her phone and she was able to send.

To Snn5:  We did not have issue the first three days after lollipop, but then the stock email app decided to no longer connect over WiFi for emails. 

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

If you mean your actual Gmail account, I am not sure how to change the setting for this.  If you are adding other accounts to Gmail, then you should be able to edit the settings the same way as the stock email app.  My ISP and router are setup for IPv6, so I think this all ties to some of the lollipop issues that should be fixed with a later version of lollipop.  My Gmail account works without problems, and my issue was that all abilities to access my personal account always resulted in server errors....regardless of the app I used.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Stonesander,

Look no further help is here! I can definitely understand the importance of having your email working properly while connected to wifi. What phone do you have? have you tried using the Gmail app as suggested by goldberguscj?

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
jayare
Contributor - Level 2

For me, it's the Gmail app that isn't syncing over WiFi. It does fine over data, or over Wifi if I have data off. but if both are on, it won't sync. LG G3 on Lollipop.

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Stonesander,

Look no further help is here! I can definitely understand the importance of having your email working properly while connected to wifi. What phone do you have? have you tried using the Gmail app as suggested by goldberguscj?

JohnB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
goldberguscj
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to clarify ... using the Gmail app allows me to check/send my email over WiFi, whereas the native email app could not connect to any account (Gmail or otherwsie) via WiFi.

However, the WiFi SYNC issue is present. I can manually update my inboxes over WiFi, but background sync and notifications do not work over WiFi for email.

For me, this is not really an issue because I am not a fan of the notifications and turn them off anyway (with six email accounts, my phone would be notifying me non-stop otherwise). That being said, it is absolutely a bug that needs to be fixed, and my guess is it is the same bug that is causing the native email app to choke altogether over WiFi. BTW, Facebook, etc. notifications work fine over WiFi, so this is most certainly an issue with how certain types of accounts interface with the base OS.

Whether the bug is fixable by Google through an app update, or needs to be fixed by LG/Verizon through a system update is not clear to me. But Verizon needs to get its act together and acknowledge the bug is real, let users know what the issue is, and give some kind of timeline as to when it will be fixed (or offer a reasonable work around).

Faith is also being lost when VZW folks recommend bad advice -- from the harmless (clear Google Play Services cache) to the ridiculous (factory reset the phone). Both of which have proven to not have any effect on the "WiFi Sync/Notifications" bug.

jayare
Contributor - Level 2

Interestingly, I use K9 for all my email accounts other than Gmail and it does fine checking email over WiFi and data. My problem is with the Gmail app. I haven't used the native app since I got the phone. I really like the K9 app. You might want to give that a try.

0 Likes
Re: Re: After Lollipop, native email app won't connect on WiFi
R_Markwald
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep goldberguscj, that was me posting about enabling/configuring my Asus router to use IPv6 to test things on XDA.  While it did indeed work, the issues were if you disconnected from your wifi and re-connected (like if leaving home to go to work, then coming home later), it wouldn't use the IPv6 IP address any longer, even though one was assigned to the phone.  It would use its IPv4.  I confirmed this issue at work (same ISP, same make of router but different model).  A reboot of the phone may fix it, and get the phone to use its IPv6 address, but that was about 50/50.

I went back to stock 4.4.2 (12B), as I use Hangouts/Inbox/Gmail too much to have it never notify me when I get an email/SMS/IM.  Those were the apps that I noticed it in, and could reliably reproduce, there could have been others that I may have not noticed.  I have had 0 issues on 4.4.2 (12B).  I also reverted my routers settings back to disabling of IPv6 for now as well.

0 Likes
Stonesander
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ Verizon Support: I haven't tried the other email app as suggested, as it's not just email that doesn't work: it's most of the apps that get asynchronous communications that don't work. Gmail, GroupMe, and Hangouts, for example. I have an LG G3.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Stonesander,

Thanks for keeping us posted. have you checked to see if there are any new updates for these Apps? Are they working when not on WiFi?

JohnB_VZW

0 Likes