Camera Unavailable not working after Android 11 update on 2/26 on LG V60 phone
yprog2112

Camera has been stable until the Android 11 update.  It shows a black screen and then 5 seconds after it shows Camera Error "Camera Unavailable" with OK as only button response.

I have read about several Google Pixel owners having this error/defect after Android 11 update too.  I have cleared app cache/data for Camera, and deleted system cache files, nothing is making camera work again.  3rd party camera app does not work either.  No hardware issues, not dropped or broken hardware.  Any others experiencing Android 11 breaking things on LG V60 phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Camera Unavailable not working after Android 11 update on 2/26 on LG V60 phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

yprog2112, if this happened right after an Android software update, it is either 1) the new software has issues that will be resolved in a future update or 2) the update was corrupted somehow and needs to be fixed. In this case, the only fix is a restore to factory settings. You will need to backup all important data before you do this factory reset. - ErichC_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Camera Unavailable not working after Android 11 update on 2/26 on LG V60 phone
yprog2112

Thanks ErichC_VZW - I have a case open with VZW and I asked for Engineering oversight or escalation.  Who knows if that means anything.  We went through basic tasks I had already performed: cache and data delete on the Camera app, remove system cache, and "Reset Settings" to factory settings for phone.  I have not pursued a "Factory Data Reset" yet, I want to know that is a high confidence fix, as I don't know if the upgrade became corrupted.  But I am having other odd symptoms now, most severe is the screen timeout value is now not working to shut off my display, so it's killing my battery.  That is new since update.  So I changed the setting, rebooted and did not fix that.  Then a day later, I notice the screen timeout is working again.  No updates came down to my knowledge.  This phone on Android 10 was the best with no odd behaviors.

0 Likes
yprog2112

I can confirm a new update did come down through Smart Updates on this AM on March 11 - that is most likely how the screen timeout probably resolved.  That symptom is a very common widespread issue after Android 11 update.  Camera app is still dead though.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional details. Were we going to follow up with you on the case mentioned? As for the factory data reset, this is really the last troubleshooting step available. If your device is still having issues, this is a step we recommend as it addresses many software problems. You can always back up your information, and make sure nothing is lost. DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
yprog2112

I'm happy to report the full "Factory Data Reset" resolved my "Camera Unavailable" Camera Error that appeared after the Verizon update and I now have a FULLY installed Android v11 on this phone.  It is a working phone again, with amazing daily battery life now.

I say this because after the Verizon over-the-air update to Android v11 that occurred to my phone on March 2 - it clearly did not complete successfully - my OS was not new like this phone now clearly has features of Android v11.  Nor did the Verizon update install any evidence of the new Android v11 update, even though the update history claimed it was installed and showed no sign of error or pending updates, except for the broken camera app, and screen timeout not working as it worked before the update.  Battery life was horrible after 8 hours each day.

Wonder how many phones are going to have a failed install of v11 occur but not really throw an installation error?  A reset is cheaper than a HW exchange.  This v11 update appears to log the event of starting the Android v11 install, and claims it's v11 regardless of what errors the installation throws.

Good luck Verizon - I hope your dev engineering team is working on a new update to send v11 update again to what is surely many many half-broken phones.

0 Likes