Correct Procedures for G3 Lollipop Update
sk-89
Enthusiast - Level 2

All,

After putting off the update as long as possible I took the plunge yesterday and installed Lollipop myself before my phone tried to auto-install on it's own.  I've done my research like everybody else and luckily it paid off with a flawless upgrade from KitKat to Lollipop on my stock Verizon LG G3.

All the credit goes to Snn5 , their method stated worked perfect if followed correctly without deviation and I'll post the original text below.

"Plug into charger for the entire process

Charge to 100% and back up and factory reset the phone

(DISABLE google backup and restore of apps and app data)

Install update

Factory reset one more time

Unplug from charger

Set up your phone

Leave phone on until it dies and turns off 1 time

Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.

The reasons for disabling app data is due to the fact that DAVLIK is now ART and the Android Optimization process might not go as planned if you just slap the new OS over the old OS.  Also, when you go back to the Play Store to download apps, they will be the correct version this time for this OS.  Also, if contacts will not sync correctly, check your ICE contacts (might have to delete those)...sometimes they prevent a proper sync."

I know it seems to be a lot of hassle to backup the data and loose any game progress but a fully functioning phone is more than worth it. Again a huge shout out to Snn5 for helping me not brick/ruin my phone!

Good luck!

Labels (2)
Re: Correct Procedures for G3 Lollipop Update
Snn5
Legend

I am really glad that worked for you Smiley Happy  Thanks for the credit.

jbjj61
Enthusiast - Level 2

how would you suggest to back up phone/ what program

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Google contacts are already synced to Google Gmail.  You can backup everything else to Google Drive.  Your apps are remembered in the Play Store.  The object is to NOT re-install old app data as that is what causes a lot of update issues.

jbjj61
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have multiple batteries for the device  you think i can just swap in a fully charged battery

Snn5
Legend

Yeah, but leave it plugged into a charger while doing this anyway.  The reason being is that sometimes updates fail if there isn't 50% or more charge.  IDK why, it never takes that much power to install an update.  But, my reason is that this keeps the battery stats correct, which is also redone again after a full cycle of use and an overnight powered off recharge.  People will disagree about battery stats, but given folks fuss about battery life be it from a crashing app or battery-hogging app, why not just cover that base while you're at it?

0 Likes
jbjj61
Enthusiast - Level 2

did you do the update OTA (over the air) or using  SUA (software update assistant)  on a computer

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Strangely, I NEVER got the SUA to even recognize my phone.  I did so OTA.  I see there is a newer version of SUA that now sees my phone, but cannot actually read it and the recovery option that has now been added refuses to even recognize my phone.

0 Likes
mrmeach
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for these instructions, but I'm confused about this step: (DISABLE google backup and restore of apps and app data)

1.  Why are these instructions enclosed in parenthesis "( )"?

2.  How do you do this? By going into Settings > Backup & reset and the unchecking "Back up my data"?

3.  When do you do this? Before selecting "Factory data reset" for the first time (in KitKat) , second time (in Lollipop), or both?

4.  When do you turn it back on (if at all)?  During the installation of Lollipop?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

mrmeach wrote:

Thanks for these instructions, but I'm confused about this step: (DISABLE google backup and restore of apps and app data)

1.  Why are these instructions enclosed in parenthesis "( )"? 

It was a quote from me.

2.  How do you do this? By going into Settings > Backup & reset and the unchecking "Back up my data"? 

Reference attached photo

3.  When do you do this? Before selecting "Factory data reset" for the first time (in KitKat) , second time (in Lollipop), or both?

You do one FDR before the installation of the update (since it is already downloaded) then FDR the 2nd time after you have installed the update.

4.  When do you turn it back on (if at all)?  During the installation of Lollipop?

During setup of the phone when you add your Google Account

Screenshot_2015-05-31-14-22-25.png

0 Likes