Re: Correct Procedures for G3 Lollipop Update
mrmeach
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Still confused though.  I know you do two Factory Data Resets (FDRs), but I'm confused about when I'm supposed to uncheck the "Backup my data" box.  At present, I have KitKat on my phone, and I have that box checked.  Do I uncheck it now, before doing the first FDR?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yes, uncheck the boxes before first FDR.

Once you get the noticifcation that the update is available or has already downloaded, BUT has yet to install:

1. 1.  Stay plugged into charger for the entire process
  2. 2.  Charge to 100% and back up music, photos, files etc...contacts should be saved to Google Account and use Google Drive or Google Photos to back up with as well and apps are saved in a list in your My Apps screen in the Play Store app and online using the desktop page.
  3. 3.  DISABLE Google backup and restore of apps and app data in your Backup and Reset tab in your phone's main settings screen.
  4. 4. Factory Reset the phone
  5. 5.  Download and/or Install update from notification bar at next boot/power on after skipping set up if possible
  6. 6.  Phone will reboot after installation.  Factory reset one more time as soon as possible before setting up the phone (you may have to press the back button a few times to escape the set up screen, or you may be able to skip it.  Just go back to the Backup and Reset tab and FDR again.
  7. 7.  Unplug from charger at 100% recharged
  8. 8.  Set up your phone however you like to include apps from your My Apps screen in either the Play Store App or from the PC webpage version
  9. 9.  Leave phone on until it powers off
  10. 10.  Leave off and recharge to 100%
iamkristy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am going to follow these steps to confirm this is working. I have had 5 replacements sent lol, and Ive been waiting a few weeks to have someone find a way without rooting my phone. This was the reason I got the phone to begin with. VERY disappointed that the G4- came out with not to much of a screen size difference. I almostupgraded to the Note 4 last night, but I figured I would give this ONE last shot, since I do tech support myself and noticed that it was the IPV6 issues... I will report back.

mrmeach
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks to Snn5 (and sk-89 for re-posting) for this Lollipop install procedure.  I'm less than 24 hours past what I think was a successful installation, but time will tell the truth: I've read a few posts of installs that went well at first and then soured later, but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen here. These guys would have said something about this by now (as will I) if problems started popping up.   

iamkristy
Enthusiast - Level 2

You didnt do the update over wifi did you? lol curious

mrmeach
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks to this post, my G3 now looks identical to the way it did before, but with Lollipop running underneath it instead of KitKat.  Since I'm not being distracted by the raft of hiccups plaguing other owners, I can appreciate the fact that Lollipop does seem marginally faster than KitKat at everything, and this IS as it should be, but I'll stop short of saying this update was worth the effort.  Before doing the update, I made notes to remind myself how my phone was setup: I recorded settings for the phone, settings for specific apps, email server addresses, and a list of just which app appears on which screen of the phone.  Arguably, I should have done this long ago because this is not the first time that I've had to hard reset my phone.  I also backed up everything to three different clouds: Verizons (a slow-poke), the one for CM Backup (faster), and Google's own servers (for photos and gmail contacts).  That last part was unnecessary, but I didn't trust VZ Backup since it didn't allow me to browse my backed up contacts, even though it does in fact back them up. Anyway, I spread that prep work over a few days because -- believe it or not -- I do have other things to do besides updating my phone.  Once started, the hard resets (2 of them), the install, and the effort to reconfigure my phone to it's previous setup took about 4 to 6 hours.  Waiting for the phone to drain down to nothing was no big deal since it is usable in that time, but waiting for it to fully recharge in a powered-off state is something best left doing while you are asleep or in some capacity where you don't need the phone.  Now everything seems to be working perfectly, but the cost of getting it this way required more effort than any "user-friendly" device should demand. 

mrmeach
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, I did set the phone in Wi-Fi after the first hard reset.  Lollipop is over 700 Mb and the Verizon connection at my house flips back and forth to 3G all the time.  I've complained to them about this since my coverage map indicates I should be receiving their "best" 4G LTE coverage, but that's a rant for another discussion.  Anyway, because of this, the install was dragging, so I decided to speed things up by turning on the Wi-Fi connection.  After doing that, I think I turned what looked to be a 2-hr process into a 15-minute one.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yeah, it takes a little effort that most don't want to put forth.

mrmeach
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just curious, but where did you first discover the right way to do this?  Is it buried somewhere at LG's website?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, I kind of put 2 and 2 together.  Seriously...I pondered on why it was that I had issues on my G2 and my GF did as well after the update.  Then I remembered the Davlik to ART change and then thought.."Maybe my apps didn't convert."  Then I thought, "Wait...I backed up a lot of those app data settings then restored them."  BOOM  And then I figured...maybe this is the same thing for all phones coming from KK to LP.