G4 wont retrieve voicemail after update to android 13B
hoffmany

I I updated my  LG G4 to Android 13B yesterday. Now my phone shows a voicemail waiting. It says it can't connect to the network to retrieve it. But I am connected by wifi, and if I disable WiFi I can connect by 4G. I dialed my own number, entered my password, retrieved the message, and deleted it. But the app icon still shows 1 message, and the pull down menu on top of the screen shows "can't connect to voice mail."  I have basic voicemail, not visual. When other apps freeze like this, I delete them and reinstall. But I can't find basic Verizon voicemail on the Google Play app store. What can I do? Are others having the problem?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: G4 wont retrieve voicemail after update to android 13B
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Getting your voicemail working is an essential part of your service.  After all if you miss a call you wan tto know what sort of call you missed. I’m including a link to access your voicemail here http://vz.to/1lXiAIt . That should allow you to get set up appropriately. 
MatthewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
hoffmany

Hi Matthew

This did not help me at all.  My voicemail IS, and was, set up correctly; I can access it by dialing my own phone number.  I have deleted my only message but the app icon is still badged with a number 1.  I deleted the cache in the Settings app; that did not help.  I turned the phone off and on again (several times).  When I ask it to "refresh" it says it can't do that right now.  Is there a link you can send me to download the basic voicemail app?  I don't want to delete it until I am sure I can reinstall it, and I couldn't find it on the Google Play app site. I also hesitate to "clear data" in the settings app because I don't know if it will work correctly when I open it again. Help! Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hoffmany

I totally understand why you’re frustrated with having your phone display you have new messages when you’ve checked and deleted everything from your mailbox.  We want to be as helpful as possible and find out what’s causing this and get it working properly.

The voicemail app on your phone cannot be deleted, it can only be reset. To reset the app, you must go through the steps to clear the data on the voicemail option. I understand being hesitant to make that type of change, but this may be something we have to do. Before you take the step to clear data, I see that you mentioned that you’ve tried this on both WiFi and mobile data. Can you tell me what steps you took in the voicemail app after disabling the WiFi?  

ShawnteJ_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Eninja
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the exact same issue on my wife's phone, immediately following the update from yesterday.   The only way to even check the messages is to turn off wifi and connect through 3g or 4g.  I have cleared the cache on the phone, and reset the app.  There is nothing more to be done, within reason.  I'm quite familiar with this sort of thing.  It is unacceptable to have to factory reset a phone every time there are "bug fixes".  She's already replaced the phone once because it misses calls even with 5 bars. (Still did not fix it)  If you check my account history I'm sure you'll see she's been to the corporate store many times, and has been repeatedly turned down to change to a different phone. I guess they'd rather spent countless man hours trying to make the existing one work, and leaving her with a bad taste in her mouth.  There will surely be more customers with this issue.  Any resolution, or patches to look out for?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is disheartening to hear that you are having so many issues with your wife's phone, but we are here to help. What is the make and model of the device?
NicholeK_VZW

0 Likes
Eninja
Enthusiast - Level 2

The same issue, meaning the same update 13b, which is on the g4.  Just checked it again, now it's telling me it can't connect to voicemail due to a low network signal.  I show 5 bars (network extender) , 3g/4g and have a 200mbps internet connection.  We have pulled the battery, re-seated the sim card, and cleared the cache.  This is far more than should be necessary for any average user. My note 4 has none of these problems, so we can move on past the "what kind of internet and/or signal do you have?" part.  What is the purpose of buying a network extender if the software won't use it, or the wifi network?  (This includes mms) The problem is with the phone or firmware.   If there is not a known fix I would like to return it (for the second time) and replace it with either a nexus 6 or note 5.   What REALLY p*****s me off is that the update persistently bugged my wife all day to install, and yet I could find NO useful literature on the update online, (it is so common for these updates to leave people with even more problems I told her not to install it until I could research it) so she eventually hit install to get it to quit nagging her and here we are...

Concatlady
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem with no resolutions. I talked to a customer support rep for 30 minutes last night with no help. Sorry I updated! Surely someone at Verizon can figure this out????

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to help you get to the bottom up this. Updates are supposed to enhance the phone, not make things more difficult. For clarification purposes, have you tried to do this update while connected to another WIFI source (maybe work or local business)? If so what was the result?
NicholeKKKKKKKKKK_VZW

0 Likes
Eninja
Enthusiast - Level 2

What update? We are just trying to use visual voicemail after you guys pushed a clearly untested update.  It's ironic,  really.  Vzw takes longer than every other provider to release these updates because they "want to ensure you get the very best" and the updates ALWAYS follow with thousands of complaints, and everyone waiting for the next update to fix all the issues.  Lol

0 Likes