Help Needed, just swapping like for like
EvilPrince

I have an older android phone - LG V20. I bought another one. I got it all set up on wifi from factory default as I didn't want to clone everything on my current phone. Both phones are the same model - VS995.

I swapped the SIM over, and it tried to set me on a global network.

I have been trying to "activate or switch device" on My Verizon, and it looks like it completes, but tells me to Follow the Setup Assistant onscreen instructions, which of course I hadn't done as it was previously setup on wifi.

Is there something I am missing to activate the new phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Help Needed, just swapping like for like
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@EvilPrince wrote:

I have an older android phone - LG V20. I bought another one. I got it all set up on wifi from factory default as I didn't want to clone everything on my current phone. Both phones are the same model - VS995.

I swapped the SIM over, and it tried to set me on a global network.

I have been trying to "activate or switch device" on My Verizon, and it looks like it completes, but tells me to Follow the Setup Assistant onscreen instructions, which of course I hadn't done as it was previously setup on wifi.

Is there something I am missing to activate the new phone?

You might not be able to activate it. If it isn't capable of VoLTE calls on the Verizon Wireless network, then Verizon Wireless doesn't allow you to activate the phone using CDMA for call service anymore. This restriction is part of their schedule to shut down the CDMA network and switch it to LTE. 

https://m.gsmarena.com/lg_v20-8238.php#vs995

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
EvilPrince

That is bizarre. So I have to use my original phone for it to work, even though it is the same model.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it was already activated on the network then it would continue to work. New activations of phones with voice calls over the CDMA network aren't permitted anymore and haven't been since 2018. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
EvilPrince

The phone DOES support HD calling, which according to this page:

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/

It should not be impacted yet, unless I am reading it wrong.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

EvilPrince

Being able to activate your new phone is important. Let's gather more details to find out what's preventing the setup completion for the  LG V20.  Where was the device purchased? Did you try inserting a new sim card or the one from the previous device? 

RitaK_VZW

0 Likes
EvilPrince

Purchased from Amazon, Verizon specific model, and the SIM is the same from the previous device.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone model still defaults back to using the CDMA network for voice calls and text messages. A true VoLTE phone doesn't have the radios to access the CDMA network. 

0 Likes