How do I unverizon my LG VK815 tablet
OldManBo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have an LG VK815 tablet that I purchased from Verizon and used it several years on Verizon's 4G LTE.  When I upgraded my smartphone to an iPhone with Verizon I decided to remove the tablet from my Verizon account and use it only on WiFi.  Now when I use the tablet it keeps trying to initiate an app that attempts connecting to Verizon cell which it cannot because Its cell number is no longer active.  This occurs on initial bootup with a message that says it is setting up an app. which holds for a while and than an alert appears that says "sorry we're having trouble connecting......." with an option to close the alert.  When I close the alert the tablet begins working properly on WiFi but every once in a while the same message and alert randomly reapears and interrupts whatever I may be doing.  I cannot identify the app that is being set up and suspect it is something Verizon built into the software that doesn't appear in the app list to make the tablet almost unuseable without a cell account.  Is this something I can correct?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I unverizon my LG VK815 tablet
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you removed the SIM card from the tablet?

OldManBo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not removed the sim card.  At one time I got a message that the sim card was not recognized but haven't seen that message for quite a long time.  Where do I find the sim card in this tablet?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the SIM card still in the tablet, it may be trying to establish a network connection.  To remove the SIM card:

Remove SIM card LG G Pad 8.3 

OldManBo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Removing the sim card changed the messages but did not solve the problem.  I now get "No SIM card found" at boot up and an alert stating "Sorry Ran into a problem" when using an app.  When I acknowledge the alert all works well until the alert appears again.

It appears that the LG G-Pad 8.3 was specially built and set up for Verizon and may have a Verizon specific BIOS that is initiating the commands resulting in what I am experiencing.  If so, can the BIOS be updated?  Or is the device locked and if so can Verizon unlock it. 

I am open to any other suggestions.  Your help is appreciated. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the details. You can follow these steps. From the top edge of the device (display facing down), open the cover then remove the card tray. Remove the SIM card from the tray. You can also follow this link for more details, https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-94429/ Does this help? GeorginaG_VZW

0 Likes
OldManBo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the link.  Removing the SIM card from my unit was actually different but the instructions got me started and removing the SIM was quite easy.  See my previous reply for the result.  What I am experiencing definitely requires more than removal of the SIM.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the need to unlock your device for use. With regard to this device being unlocked you can do so by entering the device PUK code. Here are the instructions on how to complete this process https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-95329/. To further clarify, why were you looking to unlock the device? JasperM_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Try using airplane mode, the turn Wifi back on.  That might stop the messages

0 Likes
OldManBo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will try to unlock the device.  Thanks for the information.  I no longer need cell connection because it is only used on Wi-Fi so I had it disconnected.  I still have other devices on Verizon and have no intent of moving the tablet to another carrier.  I wish to unlock the device because it keeps trying to connect to Verizon cell service while using W-Fi which makes it nearly unuseable.  Removing the SIM has helped but not fully corrected the issue.  I am hoping a full unlock will solve my problem.

0 Likes