I cannot receive MMS over WiFi- anyone else struggling? (2nd post)
CariCahill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Original post:

Apparently, it's not the settings. Tech told me I need to just return the phone b/c they don't have a clue what's wrong with it. They've done everything they can on their end and nothing works. I posted about this earlier just before I spoke to advanced tech support and thought they'd fixed the issue, but it's not fixed.

If someone finds a fix for this, please post it. As of now, my plan is to return the phone to the store tomorrow.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: I cannot receive MMS over WiFi- anyone else struggling? (2nd post)
Snn5
Legend

...had me go into the data settings and turn on data roaming.

That should not have been checked.  Now, whenever you roam, you will be charged for that data.  I didn't see it mentioned where you had issues with MMS only on WiFi, or if it was a problem with mobile data as well.  In fact, having "weak signal" unchecked should have no bearing either, if you are at home or have a strong signal off wifi.  Sounds like it was a temporary holdup.  Oh, G2 and G3 phones receive MMS whether WiFi or data are enabled or not.  Never need to make any changes to receive or send MMS.

0 Likes
CariCahill
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think they were grasping at straws as they searched for a solution to the problem. It turned out to be a temporary fix because the phone reverted back to what it was doing before within an hour.

I'm only having the issue when it's connected to WiFi. If I turn off WiFi, I can receive MMS but only if I haven't tried to download the pic while connected to WiFi. If I've tried to download it while still connected to WiFi, it tells me the message is expired or no longer available, even after I disable the WiFi. If I disable auto-downloading for MMS, turn off WiFi after a receive a MMS, and THEN hit the download button, the photo pops up without an issue. (I sure hope that makes sense.)

The problem persists on any WiFi I'm connected to, not just my home network. If I left WiFi off permanently, I'd never have an issue with receiving MMS. Unfortunately, my plan isn't unlimited. And it's really aggravating to have to swap back & forth when it shouldn't be an issue at all. I never had this issue with my Galaxy S3.

My husband and son's phones don't have this problem, so I'm fairly certain it's not a problem on our end. We don't have a weird or fancy set-up on our router or internet connection anyway, it's pretty standard.

You'd think if the problem had something to do with our internet or router, that the other three cell phones in our house would be having a similar issue but they're not.

The tech also mentioned that it could be that my phone's radio is malfunctioning. I'm going to take it back to the store where I purchased it tmrw and see if they'll swap it out with another phone. I really like the phone itself.. love the features! But not if it's going to malfunction. That's no bueno.

We also tried to change the APN settings but that didn't work either. Finally, the tech said, "I've done everything I can on my end. You need to take the phone back to the store, tell them that it's a lemon, and have them replace it."

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The tech should have offered you a replacement right then.  The store will do the same thing in that they will send you a replacement and then you send that phone back.

CariCahill
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree! I tried to get them to do that but since I purchased the phone at an authorized dealer instead of a corporate store, they want me to take the phone back to the store where I purchased it.

In retrospect, I should have gone to a corporate store to begin with but eh, hindsight is 20/20.

0 Likes
schaweet

I am having the same issue on my G3.  Today I couldn't even send a picture while connected to WiFi.  I had to turn off WiFi and then it worked fine.  This is very frustrating to say the least.  VZW needs to fix this ASAP. 

i don't recall this being an issue until just the last week.

0 Likes
CariCahill
Enthusiast - Level 2

It really is super annoying. I love the phone otherwise and haven't experienced any other issues except with the MMS.

The tech folks have tried EVERY fix they can think of. I've also done some digging on other forums to see anyone has a fix but there's nothing out there that works.

One person said their problem started when they installed an adblocker and once they uninstalled it, the problem fixed itself. Unless there's some ad-blocking bloatware somewhere on the OS, I haven't installed a third-party app that might cause it. The problem persists with a phone that has only what comes with the phone straight out of the box as well as with apps that I installed such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

I did return the first phone to the store and they gave me another one, identical to the first. Same issue with the second phone- worked fine in the store but the minute I got it home and connected to WIFI, same problem. Now, I have noticed that someone can send me MMS within a few minutes of a reboot but the problem comes back 20 or so minutes later.

I have to head to work now but I'll go through a little later and make a list of things the techs have tried to make my phone work and then post them here so anyone else having this issue can see what's been tried but hasn't worked. I will also list all apps that I've installed as well as the conditions in which I'm using the phone; ie- network extender, brand of modem, etc. to see if there's any correlation.

0 Likes
CariCahill
Enthusiast - Level 2

schaweet
UPDATE- A tech-savvy friend took a look at my phone this evening at work and couldn't fix the problem. He's a former tech support employee for another major wireless provider. He said his best guess is the problem is somewhere in the APN settings. It seems like LG's default settings are fighting (for lack of a better word) with Verizon's settings. He couldn't fix the problem and ended up suggesting I download the texting app "Textra" because it's one where the settings allow you to change the APN.
I was dubious because we've already tried changing the texting program to the two others that come on the phone and neither worked. But neither allow you to edit or add to the APN settings either.

I'm not sure how it is on anyone else's LG G3, but mine doesn't allow you to change the APN settings at all. On every single walk-through I've found for setting up MMS, I've followed it to the letter right up until it says, "Click the 'add' button in the upper right corner..." because that isn't an option on my phone. I imagine it's prob the same way for many others as well. I don't know if it's just on Verizon or if it's a product-wide problem.

My tech friend said the only way I can change the APN settings on my own (without speaking to Verizon's tech folks again) would be to "jail break" the phone first, which I really don't want to do.

I downloaded Textra and was surprised to find that it comes with a check-box for "MMS WiFi fix" under the setting "go here if MMS isn't working."  I clicked the appropriate boxes and sent myself a MMS using my husband's phone. I also asked a friend who has another provider to text me a test pic. Textra turned off WiFi, downloaded both pix, and then turned WiFi back on... exactly the way the phone's default settings should behave. It took a minute or so longer than a typical text but I'm okay with that so long as pix come through.

I've been fighting this issue for nearly 2 weeks now. I've spoken to 7 different people at Verizon as well as several friends who are extremely knowledgeable regarding cell phone OS (KitKat in particular), and this is the only thing that has actually worked. I'm going to give it 24 hours though before I say the problem is truly "fixed."

Hope this works!! (crosses fingers)

mms_problem lg_g3 mms not receiving mms while connected to wifi

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Textra turned off WiFi, downloaded both pix, and then turned WiFi back on... exactly the way the phone's default settings should behave.

Be careful that the wifi does come back on.  The phone should never turn off wifi to send a message.  Obviously you have a faulty unit.  Even with data off, MMS should come and go because of a passive data connection.

0 Likes
CariCahill
Enthusiast - Level 2

>Obviously you have a faulty unit.

I'd agree with you except this is new phone #2. Verizon swapped out the first one for another just like it. Unless there's a bad batch of phones with a faulty something in the entire lot.. Which is entirely possible.

I agree with your assertion and will definitely heed the warning, believe me. I just meant that the phone should be able to automatically do what there's a specific setting for in this app.

The prob is, no one has been able to pinpoint the problem. Until they do, this is a possible work-around.

0 Likes