Is the G3 worth giving up my unlimited data plan?
Hamdroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with unlimited data (grandfathered in when I replaced my original Motorola Droid).  I've been waiting for the "perfect" phone to replace it, and it looks like the G3 might be it.   The Nexus was a great phone in its time, but I've always disliked the really rotten battery life and the difficulty it has finding a data signal and also staying connected to wifi (both, it turns out, common issues with this phone, especially the data signal issue). 

So, those of you who have this phone, what do you think?   Do you love the phone?   Worth sacrificing my unlimited data to buy on the $99 special and give up my unlimited data (I've never even used 1 GB of data in a month, but I hate giving it up on principle) or wait until I can afford the full off-contract price (which will be a while) and do one of the "hacks" to keep the unlimited?  

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is the G3 worth giving up my unlimited data plan?
Hamdroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you!  I went to the Verizon store last Friday, fully expecting to pay full price because I just couldn't stomach the thought of paying the same amount for only 2 GB, and after they spent a while trying to persuade me to go for the 2GB, I told them the very least I'd give up my unlimited data for would be 6GB for the same price.  That's when they told me about the 6GB Maxx.   I went home with my new G3 and my new 6GB plan, and like you, I couldn't be happier.  It's an amazing phone. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

In my opinion, I'm sure others would disagree, if you have never even used 1 GB in a month, you are crazy to not give up the unlimited data in exchange for a ~$500 discount on your phone.

For what its worth, if you purchase the phone at full retail, you DO NOT need to do a "hack" to keep unlimited. Verizon allows you to keep unlimited if you pay full retail for your phone. The only exception would be if you purchase it on the Edge plan, then you would not keep unlimited.

misskimberlyk

Even if you do sign a 2 year contract, when you're losing your unlimited data they can move you to 6GB Maxx, still only $30 a month.

Personally I gave up my unlimited for the G3 and I couldn't be happier!

0 Likes
Hamdroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you!  I went to the Verizon store last Friday, fully expecting to pay full price because I just couldn't stomach the thought of paying the same amount for only 2 GB, and after they spent a while trying to persuade me to go for the 2GB, I told them the very least I'd give up my unlimited data for would be 6GB for the same price.  That's when they told me about the 6GB Maxx.   I went home with my new G3 and my new 6GB plan, and like you, I couldn't be happier.  It's an amazing phone. 

0 Likes