Re: LG G3 Lollipop issues and ultimatum
kapeman
Enthusiast - Level 3

If they would just push the native Android OS without all the extraneous garbage, we could have 5.1 or 5.1.1 by now to fix the problem.

Why does it take over 3 months to get this rolled out? I don't have an option my home router to disable IPv6, so I am stuck.

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

Two other options would be to use DNSet or manually set your DNS on your router.  DNSet is a 3rd party app (use at your own discretion) and would be a workaround for all locations, whereas, a manual router setup would be only a local fix.  I use WiFi majority of the time at home so a local fix was good for me.  Of course, this does not fix all the issues that this update is plagued with, and these two options might not work for you. 

Personally, I got tired of waiting for a fix and I am now using an iPhone 6 instead of the G3.  I like Android but until Google corrects their majorly flawed update cycle....I am done with them.

0 Likes
xtremegerman

I have the same issue. Verizon won't do anything about this known issue. IPv6 is malfunctioning within Android L on certain devices. However, this issue was known about well before any update was pushed to the consumer. I believe this to be a cause for a nullified contract due to Verizon taking credit for the OTA official build, in which has rendered multiple consumers' devices useless.

I am finished with Verizon Wireless and will continue to look for a new phone, but now also a new carrier. I use this device for work and I can not alter company routers to disable IPv6. I am left declaring a static IPv4 address just to get notifications to go thru. Shortly after, I have to switch back to DHCP to allow apps/webpages to load completely.

Verizon will tell you to factory reset your phone or send in for a replacement running the previous version of Android. So they are basically stating they know Android L is having problems on this device, yet they will not stop selling nor pushing this POS. Congrats Verizon Wireless for finally offering devices that match your customer service

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, this is a very frustrating issue, but the root issue is with Google.  Google allowed this horrible update to be released to manufacturers and they should not allow botched updates to be released in this manner.  I am also evaluating my future relationship with Verizon, but I can tell you that no matter where you go the Android update issue will be present.  This is why I will no longer own another Android device until Google decides to fully rectify this horrible update cycle.  I am now using Apple devices....no, they are not flawless or immune to update problems, but at least I know that the update is coming straight from Apple only.  I don't have to worry about the update being touched by so many layers of changes.  Android might be more "open" but they have the worst update cycle, in my opinion.

0 Likes
kapeman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I disagree. I have a coworker that has an LG G3 running 5.0.1 on T-Mobile with no issues whatsoever.

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

Your coworker may be very lucky to not be experiencing any issues.  Many VZW customers have also not had any issues, but the flip of the coin shows many others have.  ATT customers have also been plagued with the lollipop issues, and I also think some Sprint customers have as well.  The problems can be traced back to when Google released the updates for the Nexus devices last year.  I knew about all the issues (battery drain, Bluetooth problems, WiFi issues, etc) well before it was released due to I read several articles about Nexus owners being ticked with Google over the updates.  5.0 also bricked several Nexus devices and is why no non-Nexus device probably ever saw that version.  Google finally released 5.1 and then 5.1.1 to rectify all of these problems but it will be months before non-Nexus devices ever see those updates.  Also, if memory serves me right Tmo released the update but then stopped a while back due to complaints.  It is possible that they partnered with LG to include/modify the code to correct some of those issues.  Lollipop has been a very frustrating update that has not plagued everyone, but it has messed up a lot of devices.  However, at the end of the day it is a problem with Google...not the manufacturer.

0 Likes
kapeman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will give you that regarding anecdotal evidence.

On a side note, I wound up trying the DNSet app and it seemed to resolve the slow wi-fi browsing issue, but I do have a concern; if all it does is change your DNS resolver IP addresses then something else is going on behind the scenes.

I already had my router (the one doing DHCP) set to use Google's name servers. So, the DNSet app has to be doing something on the IPv6 side as well, if I understand the issue correctly.

If I am correct in my assumption, then that should be a cause for concern for those using DNSet.

0 Likes
ggnmg3703
Contributor - Level 1

I have found no evidence that the app did anything other than what it stated.  However, I was able to set my router to the top three DNS servers for my area and was able to get rid of DNSet after that.  Lollipop is notorious for being a bit unpredictable at this point.  You may want to assure that you are using the correct DNS servers for your area....you can download software or find websites that may be able to help you with that determination. 

0 Likes
sk-89
Enthusiast - Level 2

Try the 24B update and see if that fixes anything.  Fixed notifications on my G3.

kapeman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the heads-up. This update seems to have fixed everything I have had a chance to test.

0 Likes