LG G3 overheats and restarts after Marshmallow update
Tightwaddad
Enthusiast - Level 2

LG G3. I bought it November 2014. I don't remember the exact time, but I updated the phone to Lollipop some months back. I have not had any operating trouble with this phone since I purchased it.  I was prompted to update to Marshmallow, this morning. I already had the phone plugged into the charger since about 4:30 AM. It was about 7:00 something when I started the update. Battery was about 70 some percent when it started. It was about 10% when I plugged it in. I started the update, and watched it start.  I left the phone plugged in, and left it alone.  I just checked in on it, several times, without touching it.

The phone was on the Verizon boot up screen when I checked about an hour and a half later. I unplugged it, and saw it restart.  The phone booted up to the opening screen. I swiped it. The phone was very slow opening to the home page. But, it got there. After less than a minute, it rebooted.  it would reboot about three times, then lock up on a dark screen.  It would not respond until I pulled the battery for about a minute.  After several more times of restarting on its own, I heard a long beeping sound.  I read where someone else described it as like a higher pitched kazoo sound.  The area around the camera and power button was getting extremely warm.  I stuck the phone in the freezer for about five to ten minutes. The phone booted up. This time, it had time to update email, load apps, etc. But, after a few minutes, it rebooted, again. I went through this routine several times. I had to run backup for my SMS messages about four times, before I think it backed up all of the messages. I forgot to go through the internal memory to retrieve some notepad files I created. Not as bad as losing messages, though.

I ran factory reset. I watched the phone display that Android was starting, and optimizing apps. I left it alone. I found the phone on a dark screen after a while.  Each time I turned on the phone, it would restart after getting to the screen with the message, "Initialization. Please wait while we prepare your phone." I put it back in the freezer for a while. I restarted the phone. Same issue. The area around the camera and power button, heated up, again.

I just started factory reset, again. It is "optimizing" apps, now.

Does anyone have any thoughts?  Not sure if this was caused by the Marshmallow update, if it is a hardware problem and just a coincidence, or if the update just sped up a hardware problem.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: LG G3 overheats and restarts after Marshmallow update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HI Tightwaddad!

I'm so sorry to learn of the fate of the device. I read your post and as a consumer myself, I would be frustrated too.First of all, I would never recommend putting your device in the freezer. The low temperature and liquid damage can cause damage to the phone. I recommend poowering off to see if it will stay off. Wait about 5 minutes then turn it back on.

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tightwaddad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I left the phone off for about 15 minutes the first time, with no battery. I left it on the table.  When I turned it on, it booted to the screen message, "Initialization. Please wait while we prepare your phone." It is on this screen for about five seconds. The screen then goes dark.  The only way I can get the phone back on is to reset the battery. It did this several times.  I left the phone off for about an hour, leaving the battery in. Still on the table.  Same thing occurred when I started it back up.  It just turned off at that same screen.  I have to remove the battery, put it back in, and turn on the phone.

Now, if I plug the phone into the computer USB port, or into a power outlet, it will keep rebooting, itself, instead. The phone will start to heat up, again, at the same spot.

Is there a way to put the OS back to Lollipop, just to test it?

Thanks

0 Likes
Tightwaddad
Enthusiast - Level 2

ChristinaB_VZW: Any other suggestions on this?  It appears that this is a problem with the update.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tightwaddad-

Thank you for trying that for us, I know how important it is to get your phone backup and running in no time. Prior to the software update, has there been any physical or liquid damage? Is there any visible corrosion in the back of your phone when the battery is removed? We would want to look at your phone's warranty and insurance as a second option is the phone is out of warranty. Please contact us @VZW Support through Facebook or Twitter so that we can assist further with your account.

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tightwaddad
Enthusiast - Level 2

CarmenT_VZW:

There is no visible corrosion. Water has been splashed on it before.  But, I've had no problem with it working until this update. I can email you the phone number, so you can check my records to see that I used it up until the update was installed, and until I had to switch it out with an old Motorola Droid, yesterday, so I could still get calls. I can also send pictures of the inside of the phone, if needed.

As I mentioned in my first posting, I purchased the phone, November, 2014.  So, it is out of warranty. My concern is that the current problem did not start until after the software update was installed. I've seen several other postings reporting a similar issue. Since the phone was overheating from rebooting so often, I am concerned that it will cause physical damage.

I would just like to get my phone back to Lollipop, so it works, again. Is that possible?

0 Likes
Tightwaddad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Reply from any Verizon Support on my last response?

Should I just turn this phone in for warranty repair/replacement, and expect Verizon to cover any deductible?

Thanks

0 Likes
Tightwaddad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should clarify. I am referring to the extended warranty I purchased, that has the deductible, not the expired phone warranty.

0 Likes