LG G3 rebooted continously after recent update now won't turn on
ameritus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a LG G3 that started having problems after the recent ~235 MB update that was pushed last week.  It was plugged in the charger during that update and everything seemed to work fine for a day or so afterwards.  I soon started getting random reboots which progressively worsened until the point that I started getting occasional green screens upon reboot.  Between the reboots the phone functioned normally except for the length of time it took for Android to "optimize app"s after the reboot cycles towards the end.  I finally I took it to a local Verizon store which did a factory reset and the phone worked well for the last 3 days with ~3 reboots.  Today the phone shut off and will not restart.  I tried a different battery, starting with it plugged in the charger, held the power button with the volume down button, nothing will bring it back to life.  I haven't installed any apps within the last couple months and the phone looks like new.  Any suggestions on what to try?  This is my work phone!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: LG G3 rebooted continously after recent update now won't turn on
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can certainly understand how upsetting this is for you ameritus. A working phone is definitely a must. Software updates are meant to imporve the performance of your phone, not cause you headaches. Let's get to the bottom of this and get your phone powered up.

I appreciate all the troubleshooting you've done so far. You mentioned that a hard reset was done. Were all the 3rd party Apps restored to the phone after the hard reset? In some cases some 3rd party apps may not be compatible with the new software on the phone and can cause these issues.

It sounds like you tried turning on in Safe Mode. Let's try it one more time. Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button simultaneously until the System recovery screen is displayed then release both buttons. Select Safe Mode. What happens when you do this?

If the phone does not turn on I suggest taking back into a VZW store for a hands evaluation. If there is no damage to the phone it may need to be replaced.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ameritus
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone has finally turned back on but continues to restart at random times.  Even when running in safe mode with no 3rd party apps running the phone continues to reboot at random times.  I have seen both blue and green screens upon reboot but nothing consistent.

When I went to the store originally they look at the phone and saw no damage but evidently I am past the one year warranty by 20 days.  That is why I'm trying to find some solution here.  Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are all about solutions ameritus. Do you currently use our Verizon Cloud to back up your phone? You can check that to be sure here: http://vz.to/1NYqEkj This is important because the next step will be a factory reset that will erase the phone. Here are the steps you will need for the factory reset: http://vz.to/1KWIUGZ
RosanneM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ameritus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do have my phone information backed up.  I performed the factory reset again Wednesday but the issue is still there.  The phone worked normally for about a day but once the updates for the factory installed apps were pushed when I connected to WiFi, the phone began randomly rebooting again.  It also occasionally shuts down and won't turn on for a while.  I usually have to take the battery out for it to turn back on at that point. 

I have not installed any third party apps nor have I changed the phone settings other than to add my email accounts back since the reset.  I think 3rd party apps can be eliminated as the cause at this point.  However, I don't know really what else to try.  Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate all the efforts you have tried so far . Your cooperation means the world to me. It is rather odd that it only started to reboot when connected to wifi. Have you deleted that wifi connection & tried running the phone only on the cellular network to see if the reboots happen again? Have you tried to connect to other wifi sources to see if the phone starts rebooting again?
BryanS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �CorrectAnswer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ameritus
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone randomly reboots and/or shuts down on its on regardless if it is on wifi or not.  I have tried cell only and different wifi access points with the same issue. I have isolated 3rd party apps and wifi from being the issue.  Either something happened during the push of the latest system update that went out towards the end of October or a factory installed app has a conflict with that newer version.  Of course i can't delete the factory apps to verify nor do I know how to go back to the previous system that functioned normally to see if either is the cause.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am deteremined to figure out what is happening with your device. Do you have any physical or water damage to your phone? When you plug the phone into a charger, what happens?

NicholeK_VZW

0 Likes
ameritus
Enthusiast - Level 2

No damage at all and charges normally.  I've keep it in a case since I bought it.  The phone has rebooted when plugged in also.  The phone was working perfectly up until the large update pushed by Verizon some time towards the end of October.  I'm not sure what the update was but I remember it being a large file ~235mb.  The phone was plugged in during the update process and everything seemed to work fine but the phone started rebooting soon after.

Since the last factory reset I have disabled some of the factory installed apps and the rebooting is less frequent now but still occurs.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Updates can certainly be tricky, but we are here to help. It sounds like there is a conflict between the software that was on the device and the new software that was downloaded. Have you backed up all of your personal information to the Verizon Cloud?
NicholeK_VZW

0 Likes