Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 12.4K Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions
LG G5 OREO Update causing fast battery drain
YOOPAR20
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently updated my LG G5 to OREO and noticed that my battery is draining extremely quickly.  My phone is getting hot and battery is draining even no activity at all.  I have rebooted a several times and disabled unused apps and etc... within a couple of hours battery is at less than 50%.

PLEASE ADVISE WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!!

Labels (2)
Re: LG G5 OREO Update causing fast battery drain
LN5

So sorry to hear of your phone problems. But I feel your pain. After yesterday's Oreo update, I can literally watch my batteries percentage go downhill before my eyes. And hot! The battery is running extremely hot even though unused apps have been deleted, notifications have been turned off at cetera. This only is the start of my issues, as my message plus app doesn't respond well, and my voice recorder isn't working right either. Everything is slow. This update is horrible, absolutely horrible.

0 Likes
Labacon

Same here.  The worst part of it is that Oreo came with all these options to control battery draining background activities per app and LG didn't include this functionality.

I have probably 20+ apps that I'm not using, each draining 1% of my battery and it's adding up quick.  Pre-installed apps like "music" that I even have the option of disabling. 

LG blows!

0 Likes
Labacon

I literally can have my phone plugged in "fast charging" and if I'm using my phone, it will drain to 0.   Whats going on LG?

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
tajkkj

I'm seeing the same problem. Fast battery drain, and hot battery. Seems like the active apps are taking more CPU than before. I'm also seeing some apps that I haven't explicitly used show up with small usage. I had not seen these apps before Oreo.

0 Likes
Labacon

It's even worse than I realized.  Yesterday I woke up and despite being plugged in "fast charging" for 8 hours my phone had 10% battery.  I thought it was a fluke, maybe the cord/charger connection was off, but this when I woke up this morning my phone was totally dead despite being connected to the charger (the LED light indicating it was connected was on). 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your concerns, Yoopar20. Is this an issue you've experienced previously, after performing a software update? From the information you've provided, we recommend you contact the manufacturer, or software developer. By doing so, you can inquire as to whether they know about this issue, and what they recommend to resolve it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LN5, we are sorry to see your phone is not holding a charge and is overheating, especially after the update. We are here to help. What do you use the phone for? What type of user are you (light, moderate, heavy)? How long does your battery life last (in comparison to before)? Aside from the update, any other changes completed on your device? Any other issues you have noticed since the update?

Gilberto_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Labacon

LG told me to restart in safe mode.  It made no difference.

Fast charging: -1% battery every 1:41 (min:sec)

Safe mode fast charging: -1% battery every 1:33

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a device that holds a good battery charge is very important and I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing battery drain concerns.  There are a few steps that I would recommend taking to see if this can help with this concern.  First, I recommend clearing the app cached data.  You can do so by going to Settings > Storage > Internal Storage if you have a memory card > Free Up Space > Temporary files and raw files > delete.  If that does not help, then you can downloading and running the Software Repair Assistant to reload the OS on your device: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-164676/.

Adam_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes