LG G5 VS98730b update?
JJ004

Can someone explain what this update does, what new "features" or bugs it addresses.  The previous update VS98730a upgraded the phone to Android Oreo.  (BTW, what a nightmarish experience this one was) But I can't find anywhere what VS98730b does.  Both updates state Android Security Patch Level: 2018-08-01.  Is there a typo on the latest one?  Does it has Andorid's October security patch instead and not published correctly?  In the past you could read the details of the updates as to what it would address.  I see nothing of the sort for these latest round of updates.  After the botched VS98730a upgrade experience I'm leary of installing VS98730b.  Can someone shed some light on this?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: LG G5 VS98730b update?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you need more information than what is in the link? LG G5 Software Update | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
R-K-CB

Agreed, what they gave is just very basic. Are you fixing the battery drain issue? The calling issue? The GPS issue? Just laughable...so far doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

Software Version: VS98730b

Android® Security Patch Level: 2018-08-01

The current software update provides system enhancements and the most up to date Android security patches on your device.

0 Likes
JJ004

Well, not exactly fixing anything per se.  I just want to know what’s on VS98730b and why would I need to install it.  As I stated before both VS98730a and VS98730b claim to have the same Android Security Patch Level: 2018-08-01.  Was this a typo?  Even if it was doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzy.   So far I don’t have enough information to make a decision so I don’t plan to install VS98730b until I do.

Regarding the Oreo update here is my story in case anyone is bored…  I already bit the bullet with VS98730a and Oreo.  Had same frustrating issues as most ppl reported here.  Long story short I had to factory reset the phone and lost a bunch of pics in the process, lesson learned.  Note to self, better backup all files before any updates, should have known better.  However, I no longer have any of the major issues ppl are complaining about with Oreo. On the contrary phone runs very fast and smooth.   Yes, I miss some of the old features but it is a tradeoff as anything else.  I do have a new battery I got off Amz and the battery life is awesome.  Brand name Juboty if anyone is interested.  Unfortunately the fix for most of the issues with the Oreo upgrade seems to be a factory reset and all the headaches that come along with having to setup your custom features all over again.  In the end it may be worth the price, either that or continue to deal with all other issues which were crippling functionality to the max.  I do really like this phone and the ability to replace the battery.  Now that it has Oreo and runs well overall I’m hoping to stick with it for 1 or 2 more years. I do have a camera focus issue which seems like a hardware problem from the research I did.  Next would be to replace the camera, not sure how much that would be and if worth the price.  At some point I would have to make a decision if is worth to continue with this aging phone or suck it up and buy a new one and I don’t like that idea one bit.  The price of progress as anything else whether I like it or not.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JJ004

We want to make sure that you have the best experience possible on your device. Software updates are sent over the air, directly from your device's manufacturer. Click the link below for more details regarding what's entailed in each software update sent to your device: 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/software-updates/

Lasina_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes