LG V50 ThinQ & 5G
Nearly20yearswithvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I purchased my LG V50 ThinQ I specifically asked the Verizon agent I was working with if this phone would be able to work on the 5G network Verizon was rolling out, and they said of course it would. That is why I bought the phone in the first place and at the same time upgraded my service to include 5G access. I am now coming to understand that I was mislead. I have read here that the V50 ThinQ is not able to access ANY network that 5G has been rolled out on no matter what SIM card you have or how strong the 5G signal is in your area. 

I have always taken great care of my phones and they usually last 3+ years and I never would have bought the phone if I thought it wouldn't be able to carry the 5G signal. I now find myself asking how can I trust Verizon any longer. I don't feel like paying to upgrade, and now that they changed their terms, being locked into a 3 year contract just to get their 5G.

So my question(s) is this, was it fraud on the part of Verizon or LG, has anyone pursued this outside of this forum and has anyone switched to another provider for any of their 5G phones with success?

Thank you for any input from the community.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG V50 ThinQ & 5G
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to another 20 years. This phone is 5G capable with or 5G UW service. It is not able to access the 5G Nationwide coverage that is in more areas. Our ultimate goal is to expand our 5G UW network to mare areas and make that the most dependable. Your device will have access to that at that time, but right now this UW network is not available everywhere. You can check out our coverage map https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/ for more details.

-Jenelle

0 Likes
Nearly20yearswithvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your response.

I followed the link and put in my address and this is what I was shown is available in my area. Doesn't that mean I should have 5G access in some way?

Nearly20yearswithvzw_0-1650913377035.png

0 Likes
Nearly20yearswithvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support

Can you just clarify what the screen shot below means. Based on the first response I thought it meant I should have 5G on my LG V50 ThinQ. I've already installed a new SIM, although it doesn't have the "5G" on it like my wife has on hers. I should mention she is also on Verizon with her work account and she gets 5G in our house no problem.

Right now there only appear to be two possible answers.

1. Verizon is not providing me 5G service on my account even though I subscribed to it and have had it on my plan for over two years

or

2. The LG V50 ThinQ was improperly marketed by Verizon as being 5G compatible

Your thoughts?

Nearly20yearswithvzw_0-1650917566522.png

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure we are addressing the correct concerns, Nearly20yearswithvzw. The 5G capable with 5G UW service. What signal do you see on your phone? Have you ever seen 5G UW show on your device? What is your current plan? -Danielle

0 Likes
Nearly20yearswithvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support 

In response to Danielle, I have never seen any 5G service when I search for available mobile networks. I have searched in my home, in NYC, and have done resets and replaced the SIM with one that I was told was 5G but doesn't have 5G written on it like my wifes phone.

I have also had 5G service on my plan since 2019.

So again my only conclusions are either Verizon is holding back on allowing me to access a 5G signal or the phone I was sold was misrepresented as being capable of 5G.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Nearly20yearswithvzw, it is important to have the correct details regarding your device. The LG V50 ThinQ is definitely a 5G compatible device. It can utilize LTE also, however is 5G Capable. You mentioned your SIM does not say 5G? It is possible you have a 4G LTE SIM Card that needs to be updated. SIMS can be obtained from any Verizon Retail Store free of charge, or we can order one. If you could please respond to our Private Note, we can get some more details. 

*Joshua

0 Likes