LG VN220 Messages+ failing to update
DartBoard1991

Verizon sent me a text message to update Messages+ within 30 days. In the text message was a link to the app on the Google Play store. When I open the link and click Install, a spinning circle appears, and my browser becomes unresponsive. It looks as if there is a sign-in popup window in the background (although I had zero idea what the login information for that would be, as I do not use my LG for Internet access).

This is driving me nuts. I use text messages frequently and don't want to lose that functionality.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG VN220 Messages+ failing to update
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Are you positive the text message was from Verizon and not SPAM/PHISHING?  I haven't seen/heard of any such Verizon text messages telling me to update the Message+ app in 30 days.  What version of the Message+ app do you have now?  Have you gone directly to the Play Store and searched for/selected the Verizon Message+ app to download/update?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
DartBoard1991

It might have been. The account that sent the message was Verizon Messages, and it had very convincing Verizon logo. Here's the text:

VZW Free Msg: There is a newer version of Message+ required to continue using the app. Please upgrade to latest version on all devices within 30 days. Click to access latest version: https://www.vzmessages.com/getclient.

I'm kind of wondering now if I managed to download some sort of virus. What should I do in that event.

0 Likes
DartBoard1991

*What should I do in that event?

0 Likes
DartBoard1991

@vzw_customer_support

Is the message from "Verizon Messages" legitimate?

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

vzmessages.com is a Verizon domain so the text message may have been valid.  Going to that getclient link takes me to the desktop client app. Is that what you wanted?  What version of the Message+ app do you have now?  Have you gone directly to the Play Store and searched for the mobile app?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
DartBoard1991

I have version 6.4.3.

I haven't tried searching for updates at all. The app has been working more or less fine, given that I have a flip phone. I wouldn't have tried to update, except for the fact that I received that message.

0 Likes
hwertz

Long story short, my Dad's VN220 got a firmware update within the last week or two.  In keeping with flipphone behavior, I am pretty sure it will not tell you if there is an update unless you go into the settings and have it check for one.  I would not be surprised if this firmware update wasn't specifically to put a newer Message+ on if it needs it.

A little background on this; the VN220 is a flip phone, but it does run Android.  The Message+, VZbackup, and browser are technically android apps but I'm sure custom for the phone to accomodate the lack of touch and screen size.  Even hooked up to computer via USB, it does in fact block any install or update of apps (just like a regular flip phone, any newer apps are via newer firmware having a newer app version included.)  I'm guessing it was far easier to put in a pared-down flip-phone interface onto a VoLTE supporting version of Android than to update any existing flipphone OS they had to add VoLTE to it. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DartBoard1991, we definitely want you to receive any updates that your phone needs to continue enjoying the services that you use. Please go to the Menu, Settings, Software update, and Check for new to install any new software available for your device. Please let us know if this completes successfully.  LorenB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DartBoard1991

I see the following message:

"Your LG VN220 is up to date. No update is necessary at this time."

Honestly, I don't know whether that means Message+ is up to date or whether the software for the phone itself is up to date.

The other part of my question was whether the text message from "Verizon Messages" is legitimate or whether that was some sort of spam or phishing attempt.

0 Likes