Lollipop Update - Now Screen eating 50% of battery?
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

Two days ago my G3 forced the lollipop update on my phone. I had denied the update for quite a while, and then it automatically

downloaded to my phone. I kept delaying the install, and auto install was NOT checked.  Two days ago I wake up to it automatically

updating my phone to lollipop. I was furious. But there was nothing I could do. I followed the directions and did the factory reset.

The only problem I seemed to have before the factory reset was android operating system eating like 40% of my battery. As long

as I had it in sleep mode battery was good. Once I used it for anything the battery was eaten pretty fast.  Now after the

factory reset, my screen is eating 50% of my battery! Even when in sleep mode!  I have my screen percentage set at 19% any lower and

I won't be able to see my screen.  Is there a fix for this? I am really upset that I was forced to install lollipop on my phone. I did not

want it strictly for the reason of poor battery life. That's why I upgraded because my S3 was a battery eater after kitkat update. Now

my G3 is the same way!

Anyone else have this problem with the screen eating so much of your battery?  Time out is set to 15 seconds that is the lowest I can go.

Melissa

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Lollipop Update - Now Screen eating 50% of battery?
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

I have tried it in safe mode and it does the same thing.  Second thing eating my battery is Android Operating system at 25%.

This is ridiculous that more than 1/2 my battery is being eaten by screen and operating system. Something is NOT right.

Mel

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

When you did the factory reset did you turn off restore and data app back up?

How often are you on your phone?

In one battery cycle of my phone I usually make 1-2 phones calls, send quite a few text messages, crush candy for maybe an hour and then use the internet here and there.

I haven't charged my phone in over 24 hours and my battery level is at 6% with these stats:

Chrome 14%

Android OS 12%

Message+ 10%

Android System 9%

Screen 8%

For the lack of use these are "normal" for me. The more you use your phone the higher the %. Throwing out % is helpful, but a bit more information on phone calls, games, text, etc etc will be helpful.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Also I should mention you have to charge your phone to 100% and the battery % should start over. You may know this and already do that, but if you only charged to 95% your battery % I believe would just continue to rise from where they last left off.

0 Likes
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

Yes I did. I followed steps to the letter that were posted the LG G3 Forum on how to properly update.

My normal routine Monday - Friday is while I'm at work my phone is in airplane mode because my phone has to stay in my locker. So to prevent my phone from trying to get a signal I put it in air plane mode.  When I get out of work it's on 100% yet. But the minute I send a text, look at weather or check time, it starts draining. Fast.  Tonight when I got home my phone was at 99%.  I took a few pictures of my flowers and uploaded it to Facebook. In a matter of like 4 minutes it went down 4%.  Before Lollipop. I could use my phone, take pictures, upload to Facebook or twitter. I could be on it strait for like 30 45 minutes and it would go down like 1%.   Screen was never at 30%-50% Maybe 18% at best. And that was with display up to 30%. So something has not gone right with the upgrade. Not sure what it is, but I followed the instructions to the letter.

So now sure what to do now.

Mel

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Did the instructions include disabling app data back up and app restore?

I've always found airplane mode to drain my battery even faster. I fly often and after 4 hous I'll drop down 25% or so and that's not even using it. Maybe try just powering it off.

0 Likes
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

Yes they did include disabling back up and restore.

Airplane mode seems to work for me. I put it in Airplane mode at 8:20am when I leave, and at 6:30p when I get home from work it's still at 100%.  But once I start using it for anything calling etc. It drains fast.

The reason why I use airplane mode is because for some reason if I turn off my phone. If people call and leave me a message I won't get it until 3-4 hours later or more. But I found if i put it in airplane mode, I get it normally when airplane mode is taken off.  It has something to do with my location.

Oddly enough I downloaded Battery Doctor and looked to see what it said my highest battery consuming app was, it was the android OS.  But the phone battery stats say the screen, even in idle mode (screen off) is 40%.

Mel

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

The only solutions I'd say are to yet again do a factory reset and make sure you disable app data back up and restore and then don't install any 3rd party apps - you can upgrade the ones that you use and that are currently on the device. Then see what happens with the battery issues.

Or if you are within 12 months of purchase you can use the manufactures warranty, the only problem with that is you'll keep the same battery and they will give you a refurbished phone. Plus I'm not sure what they will deem as the problem and to use the manufactures warranty it has to be an internal issue.

Or you can look into getting a new battery - I didn't go back through the messages, but I don't think the phone is very old so this is a long shot.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know it is important to have a long lasting battery melyzwi! I appreciate all the troubleshooting you have done so far. When you did the factory reset did you redownload the same applications?

AmberF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

It has not been a year since I purchased the phone.  I got it in December of 2014. So it's still within my warranty.  I have installed all the apps that were on my phone before. I know it's not the battery because it was fine before the forced update. I shouldn't have to do another factory reset. I followed all the directions including disabling automatic backup.  Battery is still being eaten. It's the update. I am very anal about taking good care of my phone.  I don't want a certified like new replacement. I can't be guaranteed that the prior owner took as good of care of their phone as I do mine. It's never been dropped once since I bought it. I'd like to keep my phone but have kitkat put back on it. The only way I'd except a replacement is if it was new in box, and had kitkat on it.

0 Likes