Marshmallow Upgrade: Phone does not wake up
bfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the Marshmallow upgrade, when the phone's screen goes black, after a minute or so, I cannot wake the screen by double tapping or pushing the power button. I have to take the battery out and restart the phone every time. Quite cumbersome! Solution other than a factory reset???

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Marshmallow Upgrade: Phone does not wake up
DeTrain2020
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Everyone suffering through this problem.  Woodhengestudios found the issue.  It’s with the Proximity Sensor not being calibrated.  I have been running fine for over 14 hours without an incident. 

Important:  If your screen protector is covering the sensor, you may have to look at alternatives as pointed out by others.

Here is a site I found that will step you through the process of calibrating the sensor without loading any software on your device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-g4/general/guide-how-to-recalibrate-proximity-t3278256

Background: I was having the issue in which at any random time, my phone would not wake-up with either the power button or by tapping on the screen.  The only way it would recover was to pull the battery or plugging in the power cable.

One of the ways you can tell if it is the Prox. Sensor is to make a call and if the screen shuts off immediately, even if the phone is nowhere near to head, its probably to calibration.

Verizon Tech Support: I had a very helpful gentle on the phone Monday for quite some time with the follow suggestions which have been made by other Techs. on this sight.

• Goto Safe Mode
  • Replace the battery
  • Remove your SIM card
  • Remove your applications
  • Do a Factory Reset (reload your phone from scratch?)

Based on this site, it is clear that none of these suggestions will solve the problem. They just consume a great deal of time and effort and since many of us rely on our phones for our lively hood, this is not productive.  When I asked the Tech if this would fix the problem or if this was just SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). I was told, while conferring with his colleagues, this was a new, not seen issue, which after looking at this site I found this not to be the case and yet I found the same set of suggestions multiple times.

If there is an issue, please don’t send us down the rabbit hole hoping something will work.  If you’re not sure, just be honest, its software, we get it, we just want to get the problem solved with the least amount of guessing.

Please let me know if the above calibration works for you. Good Luck. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Factory reset is the only other option.

0 Likes
bfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately a factory reset did nothing to solve this. I guess a phone call to verizon is needed.

0 Likes
tramposo

I'm having the same trouble.  Sometimes it wakes up, sometimes it doesn't.  It started within minutes after booting up from 6.0 update.  I thought my phone was bricked for a second.

Aside from removing the battery and doing a hard restart, the phone will wake up as soon as I connect it to a charger.  I don't want to have to keep popping out the battery when I need to use my device.

0 Likes
woodhengestudios
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue as the original poster's.  Power button on the G3 won't wake the phone, but plugging in a charger will.  I just did the 6.0 update today and am regretting it now, because my experience with this phone has been flawless until today.

0 Likes
bfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

After a day with, and a factory reset, it seems like the proximity sensor is a little too sensitive to a darkened room. If I am in a well lit room, there is no problem. But once I'm in a room with little light, it becomes a problem. In addition, yes, plugging it into a charger let's the screen turn on.

No problem with it before 6.0, but maybe LG did a little tweaking on their end that caused this OR maybe it's a Verizon issue. Either way, it's annoying.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bfire85,

I know how important it is to have your phone working as it did before. With the update some things are still being worked on and updated. Did you check your settings on your phone? What does your screen time out show currently?
JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

bfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

Things are still being worked on and updated?! Then why send out an update if there are known issues? Lol Verizon. My timeout is now set to 0.

Snn5
Legend

It must be a Verizon issue. T-Mobile G4s aren't reporting issues like this with 6.0.

woodhengestudios
Enthusiast - Level 2

The lock-up definitely is triggered by the proximity sensor.  If I put my hand over the top of the phone and try to wake it up with the power button, it's totally unresponsive and won't wake up.  (I've even locked it and tried to unlock it while on the charger while covering the sensor...  same failure, but it'll wake up if I unplug it.)

This was definitely not a problem before the 6.0 update.  How does this type of thing get overlooked? 

0 Likes