Re: Marshmallow Upgrade: Phone does not wake up
Stargrove

could we please have some more information on this topic.  I use my phone for work and this is going to present a big issue for me going forward because I need to do a lot of work in dark areas.

0 Likes
Ed10pe

I think woodhengestudios identified the problem. It does seem the upgrade somehow affected the proximity sensor, which senses the screen protector, and sometimes will not turn on. After removing the screen protector, the power button is now working like it is supposed to.  I see that my old LG phone had a notch so that the protector did not cover the proximity sensor. So I tried to see if I could cut a notch in my current screen protector, but I can tell you that that will not work and will just simply crack the whole protector

0 Likes
woodhengestudios
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, guys...  I've managed to fix this issue on my phone.  It turns out that the 6.0 update messed up the calibration of my proximity sensor.  (I downloaded a sensor monitoring utility called "sensors multitool" off of the play store and was able to confirm that it was not functioning properly.)

I found the "Proximity sensor reset (fixer)" app on the play store, and this app allowed me to recalibrate the proximity sensor.  (The app is an add-fest, so I deleted it from my phone as soon as I finished with it...)

Since recalibration, I have not been able to duplicate the lock-up situation.  Hopefully this will help others with this problem!

0 Likes
DeTrain2020
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Everyone suffering through this problem.  Woodhengestudios found the issue.  It’s with the Proximity Sensor not being calibrated.  I have been running fine for over 14 hours without an incident. 

Important:  If your screen protector is covering the sensor, you may have to look at alternatives as pointed out by others.

Here is a site I found that will step you through the process of calibrating the sensor without loading any software on your device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-g4/general/guide-how-to-recalibrate-proximity-t3278256

Background: I was having the issue in which at any random time, my phone would not wake-up with either the power button or by tapping on the screen.  The only way it would recover was to pull the battery or plugging in the power cable.

One of the ways you can tell if it is the Prox. Sensor is to make a call and if the screen shuts off immediately, even if the phone is nowhere near to head, its probably to calibration.

Verizon Tech Support: I had a very helpful gentle on the phone Monday for quite some time with the follow suggestions which have been made by other Techs. on this sight.

• Goto Safe Mode
  • Replace the battery
  • Remove your SIM card
  • Remove your applications
  • Do a Factory Reset (reload your phone from scratch?)

Based on this site, it is clear that none of these suggestions will solve the problem. They just consume a great deal of time and effort and since many of us rely on our phones for our lively hood, this is not productive.  When I asked the Tech if this would fix the problem or if this was just SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). I was told, while conferring with his colleagues, this was a new, not seen issue, which after looking at this site I found this not to be the case and yet I found the same set of suggestions multiple times.

If there is an issue, please don’t send us down the rabbit hole hoping something will work.  If you’re not sure, just be honest, its software, we get it, we just want to get the problem solved with the least amount of guessing.

Please let me know if the above calibration works for you. Good Luck. 

0 Likes
bfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

DTrain, I want to verify that the solution link, posted in your solution, worked. Thank you.

0 Likes
woodhengestudios
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the record, the linked method did NOT work for me; using the hidden menu recalibration was a complete failure on my device.  My proximity sensor was so screwed up that the built-in hardware test wouldn't even recognize that the sensor was in my phone.  This was the first method I tried before I even bothered posting a solution.

0 Likes