Marshmallow
cronraptor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there an ETA yet on when the LG G4 will be receiving the Marshmallow update?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Marshmallow
cronraptor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can confirm as well ... ran Check for Updates and there it is.  I'm going to wait a bit to install it, to see if anybody has any issues

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

There is no ETA as of yet no official word from LG and you can continue to check the Verizon software update page for further information as well as the product page on lg.com

0 Likes
atspencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

LG released the source code for the vs986 back in December. The source code is the official software release from LG.  It can be found on certain forums. After LG releases it Verizon takes it and adds their "optimizations". An example of this is them removing LG'S smart world, multiuser accounts, Smart settings, theme customization, lock screen customizations ,and the FM radio. Please don't throw blame on LG. It is Verizon that is holding the update and has been for a while now.  Verizon is the only carrier that has not updated the g4. To make matters seem even worse the international version of this phone is already receiving February's security patch as well.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Carriers don't add their customizations. LG adds them then once they are finished carriers test them. It has always been done that way and manufacturers admitted to this multiple times.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

LG charges for things which carriers pick and choose by what manufacturers are willing to allow.

For example FM radio. Someone has to pay the licensing fee so manufacturers pass it on to the carriers. If it was a standard feature Verizon couldn't ask to get it removed(would be against the law), but since LG charges for it then Verizon doesn't have to buy in.

0 Likes
atspencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I never said carriers add customizations. I said carriers add "optimizations" as they say. Which really means bloat ware like these Verizon apps we can't get rid of. A good example is the super user access the My Verizon app has built in. Yes, they can remotely access your G4 through that app. Some guys on XDA have confirmed this as well.  LG didn't add that app.

Of course the software customization comes from LG and their UI. That is pretty common knowledge. LG included every software customization in our software build BUT Verizon blocked it. You can side load the apk's   (smart world) and they work. I change themes on my stock vs986 LG G4 all the time using the stock launcher. If the original source file was missing in the build side loading these model specific apps would not work.

I don't think you understand what I actually meant. I said LG released the VS986 6.0 software to Verizon In December. That means LG is finished with the vs986 software. XDA members caught the source codes the day LG sent it to Verizon so they could start their " internal testing". In all reality it's useless since our boot loaders are locked but it is good to know where the bottleneck is.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Reread what I said... Verizon didn't add them. LG did because of the options they gave carriers. LG could take these options away if they wanted to, but don't because it helps them lower the bottom line to turn a profit quicker. Manufacturers have admitted to this on more than one occasion SINCE 2008.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's like this.

Verizon we are going to charge you

$2 for smartworld

$5 for Fm radio

$1 for quick dialer

$1 per additional spectrum support

$10 for us to add carrier specific items

So forth and so on. Verizon doesn't put them in themselves. They have to pay for it.

Manufactures could make a lot of this stuff standard. So XDA has leaked software doesn't mean it's final and approved by the WiFi alliance, Bluetooth consortium, FCC, and Verizon. It also doesn't mean they are finished because it hasn't gotten the stamp of approvals needed. Of course people don't even know if it failed or not and was sent back.

0 Likes
amedame

Thanks for all the background info on different apps added by providers or manufacturers. I just want them to upgrade my device in a timely manner. Don't understand what the holdup is? We pay alot for Verizon, would expect better customer service.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Take this article with a grain of salt. http://www.droid-life.com/2016/02/15/verizons-lg-g4-g3-and-htc-one-m9-receive-updates-none-are-marsh...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes