My LG4 will not boot! Stuck on a black screen
LadyRelm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone was working perfectly fine last night.  I shut it down and put it on the charger overnight.  In the morning, I turned it on and it appeared to boot normally, but when it got to the desktop, it suddenly goes black and will do nothing.  The two default buttons on the left at the bottom will show up but not the 'Home' button or the two buttons on the right.  Similarly, the time, battery, signal strength, wifi, and ringer volume show up in the top bar but the screen is black.  If I hit the power button on the back, the screen flashes briefly and you can see that some type of install menu comes up that I have never seen before.  It has a language selection (English) in the middle and some type of terms agreement.  Then it has 'Emergency Call' at the bottom and 'Next' at the bottom of the menu screen.  HOWEVER, it won't let you click on anything because the screen goes black before you can touch anything.

My phone was powered off overnight and I did not update ANYTHING either before or after turning it off for the night.  It *appears* from the brief flashes before the phone goes black that it is some type of OS update, but I never received any type of message asking if I wanted to update.  And it has clearly BRICKED my phone and rendered it useless, unless someone can help me fix it and revert back to its state from last night.  I'm also pretty sure it is not being caused by any apps because none of my apps are even loading in the top bar.  This is an OS problem!

Just wanted to add that I have tried to boot in Safe Mode and the same thing happens.  I've also tried to pull the battery and the same things happens.  The phone will not boot because something in the OS is shutting down the screen and buttons.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: My LG4 will not boot! Stuck on a black screen
LadyRelm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

More information....

I have been repeatedly hitting the power button to make the screen flash.  It clearly says "Install Wizard" on the screen above the 'English' and "EULA" pieces.  I kept flashing it and somehow a screen came up that said "SIM Activation"  I clicked "OK" and it went back to the black screen.

Is this a problem with my SIM card????  I'm getting really angry that my phone will not work!

0 Likes
LadyRelm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Correction...it says "Setup Wizard"  not Install Wizard

0 Likes
LadyRelm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the phone activation screen up again.

It says the Sim card has already been activated. You phone number is (and then my number).

Note:  You will not be able to make or receive phone calls, including emergency calls, after this screen until you finish the Setup Wizard.

Your phone can share its approximate location with apps and services like maps, shopping, and weather.  Read the privacy policy of any app or service provider you're considering to understand how they collect, use, and share your location information before you use them.

Then it says "Emergency Call" or "OK"

You click "OK" and it goes back to the black screen.  What the hell happened to my phone???  It was working perfectly fine last night before I shut it down. 

0 Likes
LadyRelm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've tried to run the Repair Assistant with no success.  It says my phone is up to date and closes.

I don't know what else to do other than take my phone back to the store....

0 Likes
thegpfury

Hi,

Woke up this morning with the exact same problem. Not sure what's going on, I haven't made any changes or installed anything new.

0 Likes
lgsucks

Restarted my phone this morning and the same thing happened. Have tried numerous things to fix, all unsuccessful. Safe Mode, Clear Cache, removed SD card & boot, remove SIM & boot, Software Repair Assistant option is grayed out. Nothing fixed the issue. Most of my stuff is on my SD card but I'm still going to lose some stuff because the only thing I can think to do next is to factory reset. This is my first and last LG phone.

0 Likes