Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
breakone9r
Member

I've got an unlocked LG G8 ThinQ, purchased online from a well-known, and reputable retailer (B&H Photo)

At the time, I was with T-Mobile, and this phone worked fine there, and WiFi calling worked fine as well.

 

Now I've switched to Verizon, and while the phone works on the Verizon network, the WiFi calling option has just ... disappeared altogether.

There are several spots in my home where I either have no service, or spotty service. (T-Mobile was the same, but WiFi calling handled that no problem)

What gives??

0 Likes
Re: No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

breakone9r We have sent you a private message. Please be on the lookout for it. We are ready to help you. DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
Re: No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
geraldorigo
Member

Good Morning,

I have a similar question, I purchased my G8 ThinQ unlocked and everything appears to be working  but Wi-Fi calling.  Is this option available on this unlocked phone?  I called the customer support line, activated the phone properly and mentioned this feature and was informed that it is supported.  Please confirm, I live in an area with very spotty coverage and Wi-Fi calling in the home is always used.

0 Likes
Re: No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
NewOldcustomer

@geraldorigo wrote:

Good Morning,

I have a similar question, I purchased my G8 ThinQ unlocked and everything appears to be working  but Wi-Fi calling.  Is this option available on this unlocked phone?  I called the customer support line, activated the phone properly and mentioned this feature and was informed that it is supported.  Please confirm, I live in an area with very spotty coverage and Wi-Fi calling in the home is always used.


Don’t know why they didn’t just publish a reply.  Your t-mobile branded device will not get WiFi calling.

Both At&t and Verizon expect you to bring or buy a carrier android to use WiFi calling.  Very few exceptions.  

Google unbranded/factory purchases and unlocked will

Samsung unbranded/factory unlocked US version of the S9 and S10 series I believe all work.  Can’t vouch for older models.  

 

 

0 Likes
Re: No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

geraldorigo, ensuring you're able to utilize the Wi-Fi Calling on your device is essential. I am happy to assist you today. To review the eligibility requirements for this feature, please refer to the following link here (#1 under "eligibility requirements"): http://spr.ly/6604EC9Ag. What steps have you taken with activating this feature on your device? To ensure you have efficient coverage to activate this feature, please provide your zip code and intersection closest to where you are try to use the service. 

 

KevinM_VZW

0 Likes
Re: No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
geraldorigo
Member

KevinM_VZW,

When I activated the unlocked device on the network I called in to make sure all of the information was correct.  I mentioned to the service representative about HD Calling and Wi-Fi callingm they stated that Wi-Fi calling is activated but I do not see it as an option to turn on or off, only HD voice which is turned on.

I do meet the eligibility requirements for Wi-Fi calling.  To answer your question, my zip code is 10527.  Please let me know if this can be turned on, it appears that it is successful for some.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
NewOldcustomer

@geraldorigo wrote:

KevinM_VZW,

When I activated the unlocked device on the network I called in to make sure all of the information was correct.  I mentioned to the service representative about HD Calling and Wi-Fi callingm they stated that Wi-Fi calling is activated but I do not see it as an option to turn on or off, only HD voice which is turned on.

I do meet the eligibility requirements for Wi-Fi calling.  To answer your question, my zip code is 10527.  Please let me know if this can be turned on, it appears that it is successful for some.  Thank you.


  In order to use Wi-Fi calling on AT&T or Verizon you must have a carrier branded android phone or a Google pixel three or 3XL. Your unlocked or t-mobile phone cannot use WiFi calling. 

 

0 Likes
Re: No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I appreciate the details provided, Geraldorigo. Was the device you are attempting to use Wi-Fi Calling ever activated on a different service provider network? Can you verify if you have any of the following services active on your phone:

  • Ringback Tones
  • Call Filter
  • Company Name ID
0 Likes
Re: No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
geraldorigo
Member

Community Manager,

This device was never activated on another carrier, I double checked my configuration and the only products I have activated are HD Voice and Share Name ID.  I still would like a confirmation on Wi-Fi calling on unlocked devices, specifically the LG G8 ThinQ. 

0 Likes
Re: No WiFi calling on unlocked LG G8 ThinQ ?
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@geraldorigo wrote:

Community Manager,

This device was never activated on another carrier, I double checked my configuration and the only products I have activated are HD Voice and Share Name ID.  I still would like a confirmation on Wi-Fi calling on unlocked devices, specifically the LG G8 ThinQ. 


Unless that phone boots with the Verizon big red circle, it will not get WiFi calling.  Neither Verizon or At&t allow non carrier branded androids to access WiFi calling, with the Pixel 3/3 xl the only exception.   
If CRS were actually reading your post, they would have confirmed that after your first post and not strung you along for 2 weeks.