Oreo update vs98730a is ridden with problems on LG G5
ilya_k
Enthusiast - Level 2

After my phone got updated to vs98730a a couple of days ago, I noticed its new looks plus all of these:

1. Unwelcome suggestions on top of settings that for the life of me I can't figure out how to get rid of.

2. Pre-configured notification tones in some of my apps got exchanged for other tones without my say so and can't be changed back.

3. Control notifications for some of my media apps (NOOK player) no longer remain in the notification bar after display turns off and back on.

4. Meanwhile, control notifications for other media apps (Google play music) stay on long after the actual app has been stopped and cannot be removed.

5. The new option for adjusting display size, while seemingly affecting the size of icon graphics has no effect on the amount of real estate each app icon takes on screen. Instead, the size of white border space around the graphic simply gets larger or smaller.

6. The entire list of apps under "All apps and devices" in Settings is doubled every time I select one of the apps on the list and then go back.

Overall, this has been the most disruptive upgrade ever.

Labels (2)
Re: Oreo update vs98730a is ridden with problems on LG G5
ilya_k
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon won't let me edit my post, but the title should have of course said "riddled".

0 Likes
tfihde
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agreed, major fail on update.  Camera no longer works on LG V20.  Someone help, please.

ilya_k
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to follow up on my original post, it looks like notification and ring sound related issues have been going on in Orio since at least a few months ago with apparently no resolution in sight. In case Verizon people look at this post, quite a number of things about notifications are seriously messed up in Oreo:

- How notification badges appear can now be only controlled via phone settings affecting all apps. I DO NOT need badges on all of my apps, only on some of them, so thanks for that.

- Notifications themselves sometimes do not appear at all.

- Notification sounds in individual apps are now subverted by Oreo to be what it thinks they have to be, not what I set them to be in my apps' settings.

This one is a cherry on top, although it is not about Oreo per say, but about all of Android, or perhaps just Verizon. Why the hell does my phone decide to limit levels at which I can listen to my audio? I am pretty sure that having been entrusted with the decision to pay ungodly money for the damn thing in the first place should qualify me to be making my own decisions about audio levels!

0 Likes
Ye_Aulde_Punter
Enthusiast - Level 2

I needed to know this *YESTERDAY*, so I could have turned down the update screen when it popped up this morning! No way to roll back & undo the update. Personally, I'm more bitter about the pointless & unnecessary UI updates; Android can certainly use all the security updates it can get! Have to get serious about trolling XDA and see if there's a Cyanogen or other OS skin I can use instead of the VZW version & regain control of appearance, etc. VZW has extremely poor coverage in my area, declining steadily in the past few years to the almost nil level they're presently at, and seems to think "Use your own wifi!" is an acceptable response. If I'm going to do that, I might as well switch to a cheaper carrier like Google FI, since the only thing VZW seems to want to do is sell me another smartphone at full retail price and hefty "activation fee," [1] as if that is going to have *any* effect upon the problems I'm having... ::P

[1] Why does it now cost $50 to have VZW type in your IMEI, vs doing it yourself online for free like we did w/ dumb phones all those years?

tajkkj

I'd like to add to that the phone app now is emitting the notification tone whenever a call is ended. Very annoying, and I can't find any way of turning it off.

0 Likes
beccas81

I updated my phone with Oreo a little over 24 hours ago with great regret. Not only was I having the same issues that everyone else is having. Today my screen completely froze out of no where. I had to take the battery out to attempt to troubleshoot the problem. Now my phone won't boot up past the Verizon screen. I have tried everything I could find to resolve the issue or to get my phone just to boot up and nothing has worked. I found another person on a different forum with the exact same problem. To me it appears that Oreo has crashed my phone completely! I will be visiting my local Verizon store after work today! I will gladly accept any suggestions or solutions to this issue if anyone has any. Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
MATBAC40
Enthusiast - Level 1

Commenting to add my frustration to yours and others', I've experienced most if not all of the things everyone here has mentioned in the ~5 days since I updated. The notifications bugs (and ostensibly, features??) are the most frustrating to me. I'd also add two more bugs I've experienced that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

• The keyboard now often covers up the bottom of an app's screen when the text area is at the bottom of the screen in the app (so, pretty much always). Prior to the update, the app's display would automatically bump up above the keyboard so that you could actually see what you were typing. Now I'm constantly guessing, having to exit the keyboard and go back in, apologizing to people for my typos, etc.
  • My phone's performance has gotten so sluggish so as to be disruptive at this point. I basically can't have more than five or so apps 'open' (active or in the background) if I want to be able to use my phone with remotely any operating power.
0 Likes
MISTRESS_CETRYN
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just dropping a reply to say I also have lots of problems with this update on the G5, which I installed on Sept 25.  My biggest issue is the amount of battery drain.  The biggest culprit seems to be the Home app (although, I no longer see it listed in the app usage section of the battery info, and currently the other apps only total 65% of my battery usage).  It constantly warns me about my antivirus app and message+ app using my battery. (well, duh! But they're not the biggest problems. Often there are other apps which have been worse and I don't get warnings about them, nor can I dismiss the warning).

This needs to be fixed! I am SERIOUSLY considering going to an Apple phone (and we've previously been very anti-Apple).

0 Likes