Recent System Update is ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE
tai4ji2x

Others have commented already about the annoying, persistent and un-swipeable Android System notifications, such as: 1) which apps are using battery, even after I have added Power Saving exclusions for them and 2) apps that display over other apps (in my particular case, Twilight, a nighttime blue-light reducer). These notifications end up cluttering my Android status bar and pull-down menu as they can never be swiped away.

Also, now my Display Brightness settings are going haywire. My display constantly dims to unreadable, and yet every time I turn off the Auto-adjust option, within minutes (and often less than 30 seconds) it somehow is reactivated and dims the display while working, reading or watching. When I bring up the pull-down menu, somehow the "Auto" box is checked again. WHAT THE HELL?!? I am now constantly having to readjust brightness and uncheck the Auto selection, even though I never manually re-check it back on. FIX THIS NOW GODDAMMIT!

This is even worse when unplugged and using battery. First off, while I appreciate how Battery Saver can now stay on even after plugging-then-unplugging, the display brightness is now no longer slightly dimmed, even though the new settings format allows for 75% dimming (but strangely only in increments of 25% - not that it matters, because I notice no actual engagement of this function in practice). Furthermore, and much more seriously, whenever unplugged, the screen will dim to NEAR-BLACK at seemingly random and often inopportune times (nowhere even consistent with the supposed 30 second screen timeout I have in the settings) - and yet this isn't a screen lockout. In other words, the screen suddenly turns near-black but actually is still in user-ready mode, making me inadvertently double-tap the screen to try and bring up the Unlock-with-PIN screen, BUT in fact the whole time I am clicking unreadable html links or deleting/sending messages without my knowing because I'm actually not in screensaver mode, despite the display being near-black (ie, DARKER THAN 0% on the brightness scale YET SOMEHOW NOT IN SCREENSAVER/SCREEN TIMEOUT). WHAT THE $#!+ IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Recent System Update is ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE
tai4ji2x

Oh, and regarding the latter two problems - they persist even when I have either paused or force stopped Twilight.

0 Likes
tai4ji2x

Oh, and just realized that the slight screen dim of battery saver does indeed work, and rhe mode settings for brightness are only in 5% increments. Still, the near-black dimming phenomenon that I described remains a problem.

0 Likes
tai4ji2x

Now sometimes I'm getting the random screen dimming (plugged/charging - haven't tried while unplugged yet) with the Auto function staying unchecked, but with the dimming constantly going back down to 16% brightness.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tai4ji2X, 

We understand how frustrating it can be for your device to not be working properly. These software updates are designed to help your phone, not hinder it. Can you confirm the software version you are running on your device? Are all other functions working on your device? Do you have your phone's personal information backed up?

Jenelle_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tai4ji2x

VS98730a

Other than the aforementioned problems, things seem to be normal. This is a relatively new replacement phone via Asurion's protection plan.

0 Likes
BULLWINKLE30
Enthusiast - Level 1

Battery drains so quickly I bought a new one thinking that was the issue...nope. My selfies now are STUPIDLY in mirror image so writing is backwards. I used to laugh at people with their cheap phones that did that. How do I get my G5 back??? Worst update ever. I see not one functional improvement.

0 Likes
tai4ji2x

Didn't get a further response after providing my version number... Looks like a new uodate is available... Before I take the plunge, are ANY of the issues I've mentioned been addressed in the new update?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We truly apologize for any delayed response, tai4ji2x. 

Since you now have an update available, we do recommend installing it. You can check afterwards to see if there have been any improvements with your tech issues. Here is a link to some of the changes with the most recent software update: https://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000027-20150129104383-software-version-update

Gina_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tai4ji2x

That link doesn't seem to provide any kind of changelog...

0 Likes