Unsecured wifi network is disabled - how to enable?
MCL11

I have a new LG G5 phone.  I wanted to connect to an unsecured (open) wifi network in a public place.  The wifi network showed up and I foolishly didn't pay attention to the warning screens about the unsecured network.  I mistakenly told the phone to never connect to that network and to remember my choices.  I want to undo this so I can connect to the unsecured network.

When I try to connect to that unsecured network, the status shows "saved", then "connected", then "disabled", all in quick succession. I have tried:

• "Forgetting" the network, both in range and out of range of the network.
  • Resetting the Network Settings.

Neither of these worked.  Any ideas?  

Thank you. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Unsecured wifi network is disabled - how to enable?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MCL11, I appreciate you reaching out to us with your concerns. I certainly want to make sure that we get this rectified as soon as possible for you. I saw that you stated you had already reset the Network Settings. Have you reset the device settings?

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Nikkiseaton17

I have tried all of the above including resetting my device as well and it still wont work. Will connect and then instantly disconnect. Is there a setting or list we can find on the device that will show disabled wifi networks?

0 Likes
Nikkiseaton17

did you ever figure out the solution?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Nikkiseaton17, I want to make sure that you can connect to Wi-Fi network. Can you please check to see if Wi-Fi Notifications is turned on or off on the device. You can check this by following these steps:

1. Open the Settings app
2. Open the Wi-Fi settings (It's on the Networks tab and under the Wireless Networks settings)
3. Hit the 3-dot icon on the top right and go to the Advanced Wi-Fi settings
4. Make sure to toggle ON the Wi-Fi Notification option under the Notifications settings.

Please keep me posted.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
jcase16
Enthusiast - Level 2

How on earth would this advice help? Turn on notifications so it lets you know when a wifi network is there?  You thought that would change the setting?  Sorry, I'm so freaking frustrated at this point after scouring the internet to find a solution to this and NO ONE knows how to fix it.  Want to see what we are talking about? Create a wifi network with your router or phone or whatever.  Make it a name that should never matter for you.  Make sure it is unsecured and that you do not have to enter a password.  Connect to this with your android phone. After connecting it will pop up a small window with a red button.  It will ask you if you want to stay connected to the unsecure network or disconnect since it is unsecure. Click the checkbox to say dont ask me again or remember my choice or whatever it is.  Then click disconnect.  It will disconnect.  Now try and connect to that wifi network again. It will connect, save and then disconnect automatically.  Now go find a way to make it so you CAN successfully connect to that network again.

Hopefully you understand the issue now and understand that your notifications suggestion will almost certainly do nothing for anyone with this issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand this is important for you, Jcase16. I apologize for any confusion this has caused. We certainly want you to be able to connect to this WiFi connection. Please place your device in Safe Mode using the steps on this link, https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-204131 Then try to connect to this network once again and let me know if you can duplicate the issue in safe mode.

0 Likes
jcase16
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes!  Thank you.  So I did what you asked and this showed me that it was not android causing the problem.  So I went into the apps to see what was running. I found that a verizon app called Security and Privacy.  It was the app doing this.  So if you are having this problem and you are on Verizon then find this app and you can remove the block sites or do what i did and just disable the app all together.

Thank you support.  You got me going in the right direction.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Awesome, jcase16. We are here to help with your concerns if needed. Please keep us updated on your progress and any other concerns you may have regarding your service concerns. We are here to help if you need us.

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes