Why do some of my apps flash (or redraw) after I unlock my screen?
jrny4rbys
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I unlock my screen after not using my phone for a bit, some of the apps and widgets will flash (or redraw).  I've heard it's LG's launcher, but I feel this should not be happening on such a nice phone.  I keep my stuff simple, clean the cache, close apps and it will still flash upon unlock.  There is no rhyme or reason or pattern to this.  It occurs using knock code and swipe code unlock.  It occurs regardless of which screen I've locked and reopen.  Online forums say to use a launcher from the play store, but I have no interest in changing things up like that.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Why do some of my apps flash (or redraw) after I unlock my screen?
jrny4rbys
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure how to edit my original post, so I'll add this here.

I forgot to mention I've only had the phone for a week or so.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

When you clean or set the auto killer, or close apps, widgets and such need to reload when you turn the screen back on.  Let the system handle the killing of tasks and apps.  Theres plenty of power and RAM and memory space.

0 Likes
jrny4rbys
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you're saying I should try letting my apps run and not close them out?  I'll give that a shot.  Thanks.

Snn5
Legend

Yes.  Think about kinetic energy.  It takes more CPU etc...to restart all those services or process, or apps that it does to just "let em run."  I know on my G2 I have who-knows how much going on...about 1.2GB RAM out of 2GB total.  I still get 36-40 hours of battery with 2-3 hours of screen on time.  Using one normally, (I use mine less because I keep my data off) one should get well through 1 day on more than normal use.  And, I know this isn't all about battery life, but keeping it all smooth is part of the redraw and widget re-load.

jrny4rbys
Enthusiast - Level 2

Guess that makes sense.  I feel like cleaning them out saves energy, but I guess it's the other way around.  I've been seeing that in the forums too.  Guess I'll just have to get past my OCD and leave them alone!  Speaking of battery, I'm doing the same and turn off data and location and such, depending on where I am.

As for the original issue of the widget redraw, I called LG and talked to customer support.  He had me go into safe mode, but after a few attempts, the redraw happened after unlock.  So then he had me go into app management and delete the cache from the "home" app.  Interestingly enough, the redraw has not occurred yet.  I'm going to give it some time and see if something that simple really took care of this.

Thanks for the responses.

Snn5
Legend

Welcome!

0 Likes
jrny4rbys
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's an update.  After clearing the home screen cache, the following day the problem actually became more consistent.  So I backed my phone up and did a hard reset.  I'm now adding my apps and will place them in folders, arrange them, etc.  I'll test that for a bit, then I'll add a weather widget I'm partial too.  Then I change my background to an image in my gallery.  And I'll see what happens from there.  Maybe that hard reset will help with my battery drain too!

Thanks again for the help.

Snn5
Legend

Welcome!

0 Likes
jrny4rbys
Enthusiast - Level 2

And the final outcome is....a new phone is on the way.  The tech guy said if I did the hard reset, there's not much more that can be done.  He said that's the phone he uses and it should not be doing that.  We'll see what happens Friday when the new one arrives!