Wrong location on calls
ChiefDoggyDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whenever I make a call, the other person's phone says I am in a different town about 50 miles south.

All other apps on the phone are correct.  This affects just calls.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Wrong location on calls
ChiefDoggyDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

LG G7

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ChiefDoggy,

We understand how important it is that your calls reflect the correct information. Please share more details. Where and how is it reflecting that you are elsewhere? How long has this been a concern?

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
ChiefDoggyDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure how long it has been going on.  People just started commenting on it within the last few weeks.

I switched from a S8 to a LG G7 just before.

This only happens on certain phone calls.  Phone only.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

did you buy the phone in an area different from where you live?

fwiw: i've had a hawaii number for years but don't live there & the phone shows a 3hr time difference in calls/messages.

0 Likes
ChiefDoggyDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same city.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

No worries, ChiefDoggyDaddy. We'll get to the bottom of what's going on. Certain caller id will show the city and state of where the number originates from. Not your actual location at the time of the call. Just to confirm, is this coming up with the caller id on the other persons phone? Where do they see the location? 

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
ChiefDoggyDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bought the phone and live in Kingsport, TN.

Location on other persons phone says Erwin, TN, about 50 miles away.

I can so some experiments if that will help.

0 Likes
ChiefDoggyDaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems to me that the only time my location shows up on their phone is when that don't have me in their contacts.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that clarification, ChiefDoggyDaddy. This experience is normal. When your contact information is in other people's phone, you'll show up as you. However, when the number is not saved, most phones will now show a location. The location is not an actual physical location, but where that number exchange (first six digits) is bound to in the telecom system. There are usually a handful of these locations that cover large rural areas, and more of them in metropolitan areas. I hope this helps to explain. One thing you could do if you would prefer something else shows up on the Caller ID is set up a Share Name ID for your line. This is a free service we offer, and you'll be able to choose what shows up on the caller ID when you call people that don't have your contact already saved. You can learn more about this here and see how to set it up. http://vz.to/2mdBmMB Let us know if this helps!

EricW_VZW

0 Likes