Re: fm radio
blackhawkboy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits, are you a Verizon employee? First off, the fm radio tuner is independent of the radio for the phone. Do you have anything to show where your info comes from?

Tidbits
Legend

I used to work for Qualcomm thanks. The fm radio is built in since the S4 processors. You need to attach certain hardware as well as code the RIL and HAL as well. If you want info just go to the Qualcomm website and look at the specs of the it'll say it right there(download their PDF).  Check XDA and ask there. They'll tell you the same thing.

Also read the post of your last two replies. That'll apply to you too. Anyway best of luck to you.

m_metz65
Enthusiast - Level 2

I for one would gladly pay more to have a working fm radio. Sometimes when you live in areas with high sever thunderstorm and Tornado activity fm radio is your best friend.

Snn5
Legend

Sprint and Tmobile I know offer FM on most all capable phones, even Boost has FM on their Samsungs and LGs.

Tidbits
Legend

Snn5 wrote:

Sprint and Tmobile I know offer FM on most all capable phones, even Boost has FM on their Samsungs and LGs.

Yes they do, and they also support little to no spectrum.  So if you wanted to go somewhere else you are limited to support on other carriers and potentially even having to buy all new devices.  Verizon supports the most is why they take things out to balance the prices.  Most people would assume Verizon is trying to make money when they see a $50-100 difference to other carriers without seeing the device is unlocked and supports spectrum that would work on all US networks.  People wouldn't see it worth it.  So instead of paying the licensing fees they opt out of doing so.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, supporting 1 or 2 areas of spectrum doesn't really make a phone truly unlocked on all carriers.  An LG G2 on Verizon that makes calls on T-Mobile will not receive 4G data, and will get 2G at best.  So, not really unlocked to completely work on any carrier.... Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They support far greater than 1-2 areas.  It will get 4G data and will get 4GLTE data with a G2.  I will put money on that as people at work USE Verizon phones on T-Mobile.

LTE 750 / 1700

WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

CDMA 850 / 1900

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

If you have LTE in your area that's the spectrum they use and it is highlighted.  You have to add the APN manually to get higher than 2G data which MOST people don't do.

Tidbits
Legend

Right now they are also adding 900 on HSPA+, trying to get 600 spectrum, and adding 700 spectrum for LTE. So if you look up there it'll have even better support.

My knowledge on this.  I am a T-Mobile customer.  As well as a Verizon customer.  That's why there was the spectrum swap deal in some locations.

Snn5
Legend

So theoretically, a Verizon G2 COULD work in the same coverage area as T-Mobile, but might not if spectrum was swapped?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It will not if T-Mobile hasn't switch spectrum in that area. Their plan is to switch 3G/HSPA+(4G) to 1900 and LTE on 1700. They have done it in a lot of areas and still working on it. There's a long standing writeup on T-Mobile forums and every so often they release a press release on their website adding location to the move of spectrum.