Anyone else being inundated with pop-up ads since latest system update?
TINSTI3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the latest system update which was to Nougat, I have been getting inundated with pop-up ads.

They all have opt out options but when I've clicked on that I get an option to install an opt-out app or to do it manually.

I tried the app. It doesn't work. It closes as soon as I open it.

Doing it manually for each ad is impossible since I'm getting so many.

Is anyone else having this problem?

It's aggravating.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Anyone else being inundated with pop-up ads since latest system update?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have? Did you install any other applications recently?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like some app on your phone is abusing the "Draw over other apps" and the "Run at Startup" permission in Android. Chances are, it is some free to use app. Check through your apps for ones which use either the first permission, or both of the permissions I mentioned, and then check to see if the reviews for the app on the Play Store mention anything about ads. Bit also, consider removing these applications one at a time until the ads stop.

... and chances are the ad out-out apps you're being asked to install are just more malware to pile onto the problem.

TINSTI3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Motorola Z Force Droid and I've made no other installations other than the System Update.

TINSTI3
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I first had this problem I did a technical support chat over on the Motorola site.

He had me go to the apps setting and click on the Reset App Preferences.

That seemed to work for a couple of hours.

I tried that again this morning.

It lasted for approx. 6 hours. The ads are back.

I haven't installed any apps since the System Update and I never had this happen prior to the update.

MGN1010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am experiencing the same aggravating pop-up ads that show up at random.  I'll try some of the suggestions listed above to see if I can stop them from appearing.  I can add that due to my work, I carry two G6 phones - my personal phone is on Verizon and my work phone is AT&T.  Since installing the Nougat update, pop-ups are appearing on both phones, so this isn't something network related.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can also try putting your phone in Safe Mode to force the phone to use only the pre-installed applications. If the issue doesn't occur then you have narrowed the culprit to an application that you installed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You've come to the right place for help MGN1010. I can certainly understand how frustrating it can be to consistently receive those pop up ads. Let's get to the bottom of this.

When are you getting the pop-up ads? Did you get a chance to run the phone in Safe Mode http://vz.to/2xqU8sU? This will disable all 3rd party apps and help determine if the pop-ups are coming from the 3rd party apps.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MGN1010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I could be wrong, but I think I finally identified the app causing this issue:  Peel Remote.  My new question is:  Why does Peel Remote's icon not show up in the list of apps on my phone?  I didn't even know this app was installed on both phones, nor that it was a factory installed app.  I had to search apps to find it.  Why can't I uninstall Peel Remote?  The best I can do is to disable, deny permissions, turn draw over other apps off, turn modify system settings off, etc. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your concern regarding the Peel Remote on your phone. I would be as well if I was having this same trouble. This application is not a Verizon Wireless application so we have limited resources concerning it. I do recommend reaching out to the developer via the Google Play Store with the concerns you have. With the steps you have taken has this helped improve the pop up ads?

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes