Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 6,305 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Re: How fix severe battery drain since 7.1.1 update?
CholinMS
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just as an update, I just took my phone to a Verizon store and had the battery checked. It passed the tests without issue, despite my battery percent reading 79% before rebooting and 16% after. It is very frustrating when trying to use the phone but makes it easy to demonstrate the problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MADMAXMUTT, I appreciate the information you provided. We want nothing more than to resolve the power issue your son's Moto Z Force Droid is having. Does the device have any water, moisture or physical damage? Check out the Identifying device damage page. https://vz.to/2cE9orA When was the device purchased? Aere you using the original charger that came with the device? 

-JacobV_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CholinMS, we appreciate all the effort that you’ve put in thus far to help resolve this concern with your battery life. We understand that this has been a recent issue for you after the last update and we definitely want to make sure that you have a good amount of battery life left to rely on. Just to make sure that we’re all on the same page, are you only noticing the change to the battery life when you’re rebooting the phone? Can you tell us if you’ve already performed a factory reset (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205215/) on the phone as well? If so, did you ensure that the Automatic Restore (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-205171/) option was turned off prior to doing so? After the factory reset, how was your experience with the battery life?

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, the phone has no water damage. It was purchased in Dec 2016. It is using a replacement (direct from Motorola) charger of the same model that came with the phone. This started (like the other complaints posted all over your site and the Lenova site) when the 7.1.1 update came to the phone. This isn't a physical damage issue. This is something that was sent to the phone as an approved update.

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate providing the clarifying details, MADMAXMUTT. I want to make sure you have a working phone. I apologize for the delayed response. Just clarifying, Motorola has provided a replacement device directly? Do you know if they had provided an extended warranty for their replacement?

I want to thank you for performing the factory reset on the device as well. Have you attempted to restart the phone in safe mode and test the battery life? If not, here is a link on how to put the device into safe mode: http://spr.ly/6586Dbc0A . Please test the device battery and let us know the results. We will be standing by.

MarshallP_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

vzw_customer_support

NO, Motorola did not replace the phone. Motorola replaced the charger.

There is no difference in safe mode from normal.

MADMAXMUTT
Enthusiast - Level 3

vzw_customer_support

NO, Motorola did not replace the phone. Motorola replaced the charger.

There is no difference in safe mode from normal.

No response vzw_customer_support​?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for completing that step. Since the factory data reset did not help, the next step would be to talk about replacement options. In order to continue you would need to reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter. 

0 Likes
scphil
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I got 2 of the Moto Z force Droid.

I had the same problem on both Battery draining seriously like 1 hour or less.

I did the following :

Remove sim.

In recovery mode , I delete cache

then I charged batteries on a non-turbo charger. 

when full, I turned phone on, and put it on airplane mode.

not much different. still draining rapidly.

I re-deleted the cache in recovery mode

I re-charged phone while phone was off.

I then downloaded the verizon motorolla upgrade assistant (available on verizon website)

and although it said I did not need an update, I forced the update with the proposed file.

I choose not to enter a google account (can be done later)

I rebooted the phone and let it update android again using the Wizard

I switched on airplane mode. 

I then let the phone drain naturally. It took 72 Hrs to completely discharge ??

i then recharged the phone and did another cache delete in recovery mode

I put in the Sim

when rebooted, in regular mode, phone stayed on for about 48 hrs .

I did this for 2 phones, and now the battery still seems to drain , but its different on the 2 phones one is acceptable (about 16 hrs) , the other drains in about 10 Hrs. I believe the batteries may be exhausted or burned up, but mainly, I think the OTA and the Turbo charging are the culprits.

especially the OTA., since the same version Flashed offline via Upgrade Assistant seems to have solved most of the problems.